Blackfire vs Collinite

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Wss03, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Wss03

Wss03 DB Forum Supporter

If this topic has been covered I apologize and if you could post a link that would be great.

I've been using Collinite 845 for the past few years with great results. I've also seen some stunning write-ups where the LSP used was Wet Diamond was used. Does one product last longer than another? I'm trying to make myself buy the WD but I'm only willing to do so if I don't have to give up durability.

Thanks!

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

There isnt many nubas out there that will outlast 845. Are you talking about BF Wet Diamond?? I dont think you'll get that kinda durability out of BF Wet Diamond.

3. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Cant comment on that. Never tried it. It might give you a little deeper look.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Wet Diamond looks really good. Its supposed to have good durability, but might not last as long as collinite 845. You could put down a layer of wet diamond, wait 24 hours then coat it with a layer of 845. would be a good winter prep.

5. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

I've been using 845 for decades. Ever time I try a new LSP I keep coming back to 845. Niothing I've used is as easy to use with brilliant slick finish and durability.

I recently gave BFWD a try. Slick, super-glossy finish, really nice to apply and remove. Reflections were crisp and clear. I topped half the hood with 845 for comparison.

After a few washes 845 retained it's charactoristic slickness, BFWD lost some. Rain rolled off the 845 side easier and faster. One of the bonuses of 845 is dirt doesn't seem to want to stick to it. A drive in the rain and when I get home there's almost no evidence left on the car. BFWD didn't appear to share that attribute. I ended up topping the rest of the vehicle with 845.

BFWD seems to be a great sealant, the jury's still out but I wouldn't expect the longevity of 845. Perhaps it isn't as dramatic on white but I didn't visually see much difference between it and 845. Then again, I found it to be comparable to Jetseal 109 as well... easy on/easy off, nice shine and slickness. ::::shrug::::

YMMV... TL

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I'd go with Collinite 845 as winter sealant, and leave Wet Diamond for summer!

7. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

X2. IMO wet diamond LOOKS much better, but the durability isnt close to 845.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

What durability is people getting out of Wet Diamond?

I know for 845 I can go all winter long without any topping off or anything. Mind you this is a NC winter.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Durability goes to 845. With 2 coats of Blackfire, you should get around 4 months on a garage kept car. If you use the BF Deep Gloss Spray ( maintainance product ) every 3rd wash or so, you can extend the durability to six months easily. With 845, one coat should last around 5 months given the same circumstances.

10. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

The P21S 100% is not for longevity.

11. 911Fanatic

Midnight Sun on top of BF AFPP is awesome. Especially on dark metallics as the Midnight Sun has a good dose of polymers and won't mute your flake.

12. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I haven't used WD before but I can add to the durability of collinite is awesome! I rescently tried the collinite followed by a coat of Lusso Oro and OMG it's beautiful! Been about a month now and my car is still beading like it was just waxed.

13. 911Fanatic

A couple of coats of Midnight Sun should be good for 3-4 months. Very easy to apply and remove. You won't regret it.

14. Cleaning Fool

Cleaning Fool Birth of a Detailer

My only problem with Blackfire is this: After about 12 months, the product will separate to a liquid form. Is it the Polycharger going away? Is the product still anygood? Good questions that I have no answer to...The last 2 bottles I have used did this and it does it consistently once the product reaches around 1 year on the shelf. And yes they are stored in ideal conditions...

15. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Where you able to mix the product back into one homogeneous liquid or did it stay separated? I may contact Blackfire and see what they say, it may be the shelf life is only 1 year, i dont know.

16. Piku

Piku Virgin Detailer

I just used BFWD for the first time this last Sunday on my wife's new CR-V. The color is Glacier Blue Metallic. It was very easy to apply and even easier to remove. The paint felt very slick and it looked crisp. I really liked it. :thumb:
    The next day it rained a lot and when I looked at the car in the evening, I noticed that it had dried clear with no water spots but it had lost some of the slickness it had.

One thing, is BFWD very thin? I shook the bottle very well and it was not separated. It was thinner than Meg's NXT 2.0

17. Wss03

Wss03 DB Forum Supporter

Just after one rain huh?

18. Piku

Piku Virgin Detailer

If it makes a difference, it rained about 2 inches (all day) and the car was outside the whole time. When I wash it in a week or so, I will be able to get a better feel of how slick it is. I did not want to touch the car much after the rain.

19. 911Fanatic

Its water based so should be shaken before application. :)

20. 911Fanatic

Slickness has nothing to do with durability. If you use the Deep Gloss Spray Sealant, you'll increase the durability dramatically and it'll always be slick!