Black VW Jetta w/overspray VS Clay + Menzerna

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by SHhhhh, Oct 30, 2008.

1. SHhhhh

SHhhhh Two Bucket System Washer

There was some house/building painting going on near where my wife parks her car for work. As is turns out, overspray is all over the Jetta, including the hood, front fenders, windshield and bumper. And this isn't a little bit of overspray either. Tiny tan paint drops are literally all over the front of the car :crap: I finally had time to start on this project last weekend. I started with a nice 2-bucket wash with Meg's Gold Class wash. Then proceeded on to the fun part......clay bar to the overspray. At first I tried being gentle, and that did not get me very far. I had to be more aggressive with the clay to get the overspray off. As a result, my arm almost fell off. However, this did leave significant marring on the extremely soft VW paint. After hours of claying, I pulled out the PC. I started with the Menz 106FF, w/yellow Meg's pad, but too many small scratches remained, mostly from the claying. I then stepped up to Menz SIP. This performed about 95% correction. Mostly before pictures below. I will be posting more afters when the car is complete this weekend.

BEFORE WASH

Dirty car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER WASH

I love overspray:

[​IMG]

No, that is not metal flake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marring, mostly from CLAYBAR:

[​IMG]

Seeing what the Menz 106FF will do:

[​IMG]

Not bad for 1 pass with 106FF:

[​IMG]

more pics to come...........

2. richy

richy Guest

Nice metallic paint, LOL!! I did one this summer that had sat for months with it on. The goal is to remove it as fast as possible!! I tried several different things including Valuguard's 3 step product, IPA as lube and what finally worked for me was using DG bug spray as lube. Destroyed my clay, but it worked...check it out:
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f47/02-sebring-overspray-hell-5088.html

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

It looks pretty good so far! That overspray was really bad!

4. SHhhhh

Thanks guys. Yes the overspray was SEVERE. As of now the overspray is gone, just trying to get the entire car finished up including polish, and marring correction. And yes, I was using ONR as a claylube. Could have used the bug/tar remover, but did not want to get that aggressive with it.

I have a busy schedule, but I should be able to finish up this coming weekend.

5. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

You must be relieved to see the over spray gone...really nice detail from what I've seen. Nice work...:thumb:

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

This is what got me into detailing, I had overspray on my truck from some goon spraying a nearby tollbooth with galeforce winds.

I got compensation for damages and products used.

How much did they give you? Surely you won't let them get away with this for free, no?

7. SHhhhh

I have no idea how long it was on there. If it was the that car I drive every day, I would have noticed it right away. She didn't, so I didn't even bother tracking anyone down. It could have been on there for a week or two before I even noticed it.

8. SHhhhh

So, after spending more time inspecting the finish after the SIP, I was not happy with the finish. There was still some fine scratches that were visible under the halogens. I decided to step it up to Menz IP with yellow CCS pad. Did the whole car with this setup. Got rid of most of the remaining scratches. Then went directly to Menz 106FF with yellow Meg's pad. This did the trick. Also tried out some Poorboys Black Hole glaze for the first time, applied with PC on low speed, black pad. Was very happy with the results. Then finished up with Blackfire liquid wax.

After 1 pass of IP

[​IMG]

After the 106ff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick rinse, and wheel/tire wash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overspray-less

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that is dust (it was windy)

[​IMG]

No overspray, no marring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ///M LifeStyle

///M LifeStyle Birth of a Detailer

great work

10. virtual

virtual DB Pro Supporter

Awesome correction work there, car looks great!