biggest pad you can use?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Ian, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I thought I heard someone say you can't use a pad bigger than 5.5-6 on the flex rotary, I just want to make sure if it's ok to use the bigger wool pads ( 8-10 or wha tever size it is ) on the flex or not?
    Thanks!

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I wouldn't try it. the flex is heating up already with 5.5 in pads. with a bigger load ( larger pads ) I think you're stressing the motor more and the Larger pad is not spinning as true. Thats why I have a Makita =)

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

well i have never used a flex and the general rule of thumb would be to use the appropriate size backing plate for the pad but you can run larger pads on a backing plate it just might be a little harder to center the pad.

Not sure why you would need a 10" wool pad though as that would be a little over kill unless you are doing a boat or something of that nature.

4. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Ok, thats what I figured, but wanted to make sure. I also have a Makita and a PC, but I picked up a Flex at Phils meet the other day

5. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I work in a body shop and thats all we use after we paint the car we sand it down then use 10"wool pads, then foam to buff them. I use the smaller pads when I detail on the side. Then again if you saw the cars I have to detail some times, you would use a wool pad too

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Not bigger than 6" pads for the light weight Flex (3403) you can use larger pads on the reg Flex rotary.

7. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

congrats on the Flex!! we have the same combo Makita, PC, n Flex

8. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Btw what Flex rotary do you have?

9. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

10. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I guess it would of helped if I looked at that link first, it tells you max pad size 6.5, haha silly me

11. richy

richy Guest

When I need my biggest, baddest, shit-kicking combo, I break out my PG and my 8" double-sided white 3M wool pad. It's like a blast from the past using a pad that big. I know 3M makes smaller white wool pads but I just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it when it still does a great job.