BH Auto Foam

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by chefwong, Sep 28, 2009.

1. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

Does anyone carry the Bh Foam stateside...
    I am inclined to try it out via complete touchless wash.

2. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

3. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Negative ghostrider, Ken doesn't carry the Autofoam....yet

He said he would be getting some soon.

I know a guy that uses this all the time. Super fluffy, great with a foam cannon, foam gun not so much

4. rtrt2889

rtrt2889 Birth of a Detailer

So thick it clogs the foam gun? haha

I want to see shaving cream statues one day. :applause2:

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I'm hoping to order some this week. If you're interested, let me know so I get enough.

7. rtrt2889

rtrt2889 Birth of a Detailer

I would buy some, but the shipping kills it for me. =\

8. 911Fanatic

I will be updating shipping shipping costs to make it affordable. Don't you worry. Send me a pm when you are ready to order and I'll take care of it. We should have it in a couple weeks.

9. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

what is the ph of the foam?

10. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

11. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

12. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

Auto-wash is the shampoo, Auto-foam is the pre-wash treatment.
    Regarding a comment above about shaving foam - forget it. Thick foam like that is useless, but very pretty looking, since the foam doesn't collapse and provide fresh foam to emulsify and lift the grime into suspension.
    You want a consistency like that of whipping cream/double cream, but not yoghurt/whipped cream, as that'll be the most effective at grime removal.
    You'll also want to do some maths to get the optimum dilution, especially to preserve your LSP - here goes:

With your lance filled with 1L of water, and access to a graduated (self or pre-made by the manufacturer) 25L empty container, place the lance nozzle into the container, and pull the trigger - we'll assume you've the PW turned on already!
    Empty the full litre of the lance, or time it for 30 seconds (or any other multiple easily divisible into 60), and then look at what the total amount of water is.
    Let's say the total amount, including the emptied lance, is 12.5L , then your lance adjuster setting is giving you a 11.5:1 ratio.

Since AF is recommended at no more than 4-5% PIR (panel impact ratio), then you need to work out the amount needed in the lance, that in conjuction with the water drawn, gives you a 4-5% strength foam as it lands on the paintwork.

Maths time!
    12.5L=12500ml, therefore 5% is 625ml.
    Therefore, in your lance container, you will need to use that much AF, with 375ml of water.

Now, this strength is for the typical wet weather grime that tends to adhere to the paintwork/LSP, so those with essentially nothing more than a light dusting of dirt to contend with, then a 2% PIR is plenty.

Dwell time should be 5-8 mins, but if the weather is particularly hot, with no shade available, then a double pre-wash with 2-3 mins per dwell before rinsing, should be sufficient.

Regarding the lance adjuster - most people tend to just whack it up to max output, which tends to give the thickest foam, but some have suggested the most economical use comes from running a stronger solution at a different add rate position.
    So, you may want to play around with the adjuster and solution quantity, as those who've done this, have found they can do more than 1 vehicle with a litre of solution in the lance container, whilst still having the required PIR needed for the task at hand.
    If you find you only use 500ml at max output, then to save making 1L every time, just halve the amount - 312.5ml and 187.5ml (or 300/200 as it's not hypercritical) from the example used above.

13. 911Fanatic

I just ordered the foam today so would expect to see it within a few weeks. I will post up here when it comes in.