Best wheel cleaner without agitation

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by BoostedMk6, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

First of all I am aware almost all wheel cleaners require some elbow grease. The problem im having is my car came with gloss black wheels that will scratch using even the softest microbers or brushes. I do wash my car once a week so only light brake dust builds up.

I have access to DP, Duragloss, Sonax, and Poorboys wheel cleaners.

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

All wheel cleaners will require some "elbow grease" as you well know. The only thing you can do is clean them with aggitation one good time, and follow up with many layers of wheel sealant. Every week, you should then wash them with a pressure washer and foam cannon. Applying a new coat of sealant every second wash.

However, keep in mind that your wheels wil get scratched up with road grime and rocks regardless of how careful you are with wheel cleaning. So, I would just suggest getting the cheapest one you can purchase and use it with aggitation.

3. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Seal your wheels with Blackfire Metal Sealant. Two coats will last 3 months +.

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

ok, that wheel looks like mine after a week of driving, try that on a wheel that is neglected and caked with road tar and other grime, I have used sonax, P21s, Diablo, CG citrus gel, AG CWC etc........ and on a dirty wheel you will be agitating and getting down there and cleaning. LOL.

6. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Kilo, both wheels were very black on those vehicles (they were actually two different cars, same make & model though). The camera dramatically brightened the video when I went up close to the dirty wheels so it didn't even show how bad the wheels were. The wheel that had P21S Gel sprayed on, that car hadn't had its barrels cleaned in almost 6 weeks. The wheels that had the Sonax sprayed on was not cleaned for 3 weeks - both are daily drivers. It was quite a nice test of how good these cleaners truly are when paired up with a pressure washer for rinsing.

7. Kilo6_one

gotta love how the camera changes it....

Which one do you prefer? I find that sonax works really well on caked on debris more then P21s, but I find that CG citrus works great and is cost effective for DD cars.

Diablo is a cost effective IMO stronger version of p21s, and i have let it dwell on wheels for up to an hour... works like a champ.

They are all good products.... really

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I wash my car once a week with a pressure washer so thats not really an issue. I think I will go with Sonax as its a bit cheaper.

9. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I was thinking of sealing them with Collinite 845 x2. My supplier doesnt carry Blackfire products.

10. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

Sonax FE ftw
    Yeah just seal with a durable wax or sealant

11. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

best wheel cleaner with no agitation without a doubt is meguiars wheel brightner dilluted 4:1

12. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I always have a couple of liters of both on hand. P21S is better at general road grime and cleaning tires, Sonax is better at brake dust.

I am a BIG fan of CG Sticky Gel due to value.

13. Kilo6_one

never hurts to have them all. LOL.

14. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Wolf's Chemicals "Brake Duster" FTW

15. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Emile, did you shoot those videos?

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Boosted, are you using a pressure washer or hose?

17. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

spot on with Joey's comment they'll get chipped/sand blasted pretty quickly anyway, especially in the wet

my GTR oem wheels are already getting random chips from daily driving and i have no idea how as im always careful, likewise all my big buck aftermarket wheels i run

put a sealant on them, and use the same pre-wash/wash technique as you do the body

18. Kilo6_one

my brembos and my wheels all have those mystry chips. Not fun...... im carefull too.

19. Clean you wheels to perfection one time. Apply Opti Coat. Never need more than car wash soap or ONR to clean them again.

20. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Make it available to everyone then.