Best way to clean rubber floor mats?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Kaban, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hi fellas,

I was wondering what would be the best way to tackle filthy dirty rubber floor mats.

The winter is over (although it doesn't feel like spring yet with it being below 30 degrees here in Chicago) and I want to clean my floor mats.

They're the generic type you buy in Autozone, but they are really dirty/stained and regular shampoo will not touch this stuff because the stains are pretty old and deep in the rubber.

Do you think it's safe to use a diluted citrus degreaser on them? Or do I have better luck with my interior cleaner (I use Autoglym Interior shampoo).

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Either diluted APC or Autoglym Interior Cleaner would be fine. Although it would prob be more cost effective to use an APC. I always use P21S TAW on my rubber floor mats when they get super dirty.

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Pressure wash, Opt Power Clean, scrub, scrub, power wash, air dry

4. Kaban

Thanks M3. Is there a reason the degreaser cannot be used? Just curious!

5. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

You can use the degreaser I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm. Just dilute it up!

6. Kaban

Thanks everyone! I think I'll try both the autoglym and the degreaser on 2 separate mats ad see which one is more effective.

7. jjl

jjl Birth of a Detailer

Autoglym Interior cleaner and Optimum Power Clean has both worked well for me. I would be careful if you have too many ridges on the rubber mat, don't use too much pressure if you're washing with a pressure washer.

8. Troy Fuller

Troy Fuller Any Rag Vehicle Washer

APC and brush.

Don't put them in the sun on a hot day to dry. Mine have always spotted with white spots (think it's probably my water). Wipe them dry and then let them air dry the rest of the way.

9. mrgolfrider

Or just use your metro vac n blo and blow them off and then put them outside :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i use either zep purple or megs super degreaser on my oem rubber mats and dont see any problems

11. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

P21s Total Auto Wash works really well on floor mats.

12. richy

richy Guest

I use Zep Citrus at 4:1 and then air dry followed by a cheap aerosol tire spray on them

13. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I use Mrgolf's method ... powerwash, apc, scrub, and hang to dry... or if the metro blower is close by i'll give it a good blast of air......

14. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I am assuming they are rubber floor mats, in which case you can use pretty much anything, so don't be shy to use a strong dilution of APC or Degreaser. I like to use Meg's APC+ at 4:1 or Zep Citrus at 3:1. Rinse, spray, dwell, agitate with a brush, and then rinse again. After I towel-dry the floor mats, I like to apply a water-based dressing on them, allow that to dry, and then buff the mats down again. It will restore the original deep black look, and it will make future cleanings easier.

15. mrgolfrider

I totally agree with the water based dressing. Amazing how it makes them look.

16. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

I use zep citrus on mine, diluted of course, then air dry and dress them with Megs QID. It leaves a great matte sheen that looks brand new, and not as slippery as a dedicated dressing, You can probably use 1z cockpit if you want to.

17. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

You guys make me want to clean my rubber mats but the weather is shittttttt

18. Kaban

It's also still a bit cold here but surprisingly its in the 40s today and sunny which is very nice to see!

Is there any benefit of the Zep purple industrial degreaser over the orange citrus degreaser?
    When I was in Home depot I wanted to grab the purple one also but didn't know if it was worth it.

Can anyone comment?

19. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Zep Purple is stronger. Zep Citrus is more like an APC/Degreaser, Zep Purple is a true Defreaser. Purple is good for cleaning tires, engines, wheel wells, and maybe carpets.

20. Kaban

Thanks alot for that! What dilution ratio do you use for the purple for tires and rubber mats, etc?