Best Trim and Tire Shine?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by luke093, May 15, 2010.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Out of my options what are the ones that stand out? I want a semi-matte/ satin type look, with ok durability on tires (2weeks) and that is under $40/gallon and bonus points for dilution. I have look at:

OPT Opti-Bond, its works well on tires, is it fine on trim?
    Meguiars Hyperdressing- not very good durability, but simple use at low cost
    OPT Tire Shine- Highest cost per gallon, how does it differ from Opti-Bond?

What else is there?

PS: I want to to be somewhat spray able for wheel wells

2. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

showroom fx (tropicare) white pearl is my favorite tire dressing. It also looks great on plastic trim, the only problem is that it will wash off/fun if it rains.

3. kb2ehj

kb2ehj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm actually doing a side by side comparison over on Autogeek.com between DP Gloss Tire Gel (new version) and Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel.

I think you would like the DP product, It's only been on for about 3 days, but I like the way it looks so far.

Did a little playing after work with WG & DP tire gels - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Dp is going for $20/32oz &
    WG is going for $25/16oz (no 32oz bottles avail).

I can not tell you how much of the DP product I used during my little test I hav going, but I can tell you that it was only a small amount. When I first used the WG product back a couple months ago, I used exactly a half ounce for all 4 tires. Either of the above sizes will last you a long time.

I like both so far, but think I'll probably be leaning towards the DP for my personal cars.

4. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

3M Tire Restorer is amazing. It's in a trigger spray bottle, just spray it on an applicator pad and wipe on. Leaves a clean, very low matte shine. Add a second layer for more gloss. Amazing stuff.

5. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I like Ultima Tire and Trim, but it's expensive.

6. richy

richy Guest

i'm using dp gel (the old version) and when it's done i'm getting opti bond. it's great on trim too from what i've heard

7. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

PB trim restorer is on the expensive side but works amazing. Durability is great as well and doesn't leave trim white/cloudy when washed off/rained on.

8. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I've made my own "hybrid" dressing, consisting of Opti-Bond at a 1:1 with water, and then this solution combined with an equal part of Showroom FX. Has the look of Opti-Bond, with a much better durability, even after it rains.

9. kb2ehj

kb2ehj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Really? I didn't think it was all that expensive. $16/16oz and you use almost no product when applying it.

I have a newer Honda Element and even though it doesn't have the huge plastic fenders it still has plenty of black plastic to keep clean and I've used hardly any product in like 3 times of treating it?

10. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

This is true. :applause:

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I like Meg All Season Dressing

12. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

+1. Although I just had my first experience with it yesterday. I was talking to Lynn at Autopia about it. She told me you can also use it on the WHEELS. I haven't tried that yet. She said do 2 at a time. apply to the front wheel, then apply to the back wheel, then go back and do a light buff on the front, and a light buff on the back (to give a little cure time.) She tells me this works amazingly well.

13. luke093

WHAT?? What is it supposed to do? Act like a wheel sealant?

14. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I really like Optibond at 1:1 for more of a matte look compared to it neat; durability is around 3-4 weeks without rain while it can weather 2-3 weeks with rain. I did an experiment with layering it to see how durability and gloss are affected and it probably could have gone easily to 4 weeks but I removed it to try another dressing.

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

optibond on wheels and black wow or showroom new on trim

16. MRSHINE

MRSHINE Any Rag Vehicle Washer

:applause2: Love that stuff:applause2:

17. luke093

So Opti-Bond sucks on trim? Going to try to get 8oz, before I order the gallon.

18. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

So far out of about all the otc tires shines iv tried as well as optibond and optishine i lovr megs all season dressing by far the best . it has a great shine to it , no sling ,sprayable and best of all it lasts weeks and still looks like the day i put it on . As far as optibond i personally dont like it at all . good thing i bought the 8oz to try it first .Got a gallon of as dressing now .As for the trim i dont really have much to compare . As dressing looks good on it but is a little messing applying it .Btw when apply as dressing to tires i spray it on and wipe with microfiber .I have also painted it on with a paintbrush which works pretty well too

19. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

Black wow is my #1 for trim dressing..though i use optibond for tyre dressing :D

20. luke093

I have CG Extreme Shine as an oil based product, looking for something water based, and OPT Opti-Bond has some nice reviews that show what its capable of. I want a water based because its just much simpler to use on trim and tires, even more so a Gel with an applicator. Thats pretty much the only reason I plan to get it as it fit the bill and its a Gel-like substance, and the look is good :)

I guess I'll figure out after I try it!