Best touch up kit?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by SSTG, Nov 22, 2009.

1. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Hey guy's, just bought myself an 02' Z06 Vette, it has a few rock chips that need to be repaired. I've got a glob remover kit I bought awhile ago, but I was wondering is there a better one out there?

Thanks,Seth.

2. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Subscribed.

3. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Someone's holding out. Come on guy's.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I personally just get touch up paint and primer (if required) from my friends body shop and clear coat.

So what I do is I've picked up some fine, fine brushes got them at an art store, any who depending how big/deep the paint chip/scratch is I 'clean' it out with sand paper but again it depends how deep and big the scratch is. Basically the idea is to make sure it's completely clean so the primer or paint bonds well. I say primer because again depending how deep the scratch/chip is, most of the chips I've filled are all the way to the metal all thanks to the city's use of gravel during winter :shakehead:

Any who once the scratch/chip is clean I fill it up with paint with the help of the fine brushes I use, I apply multiple times till it's completely filled up and over fill. I let it dry over night or over a few days and then I wet sand to flatten it out and to blend it in together with the surrounding area and follow up by polishing to remove all wet sanding marks. Once done polishing I apply clear coat.

This process takes a bit of time, specially when there are a bunch of rock chips to fill but where there's a will there's a way.

Well this is just what I do, there are many, many ways to do the exact same thing. I hope this helps.

5. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

You should have it done professionally. Maybe look for a local detail shop that uses the Premier Paint 2000 setup/system.

Rock Chip Information

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Do you just spray the clear coat on? Does it blend on it's own? Or do you sand and polish it?
    Thanks Carlos.

Why would I do that? Why not learn on my own car? :thumb: I know, I'm more than capable of doing it myself, just wanted to see what the best system is to use. Thanks for your input bud.:angel:

7. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I wanna know where are the pix of the Z06??? :waiting2:

8. richy

richy Guest

I get touch up paint from the local auto paint supply house and then apply it in very small amounts using a pointy toothpick b/c that is the smallest applicator I have yet to find. Let it touch for a second or two to wick the paint down into the chip. Let dry and do again. Fill to above surface and either wet sand flat or use Langka.

9. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

They'll be up soon my friend. I need to change my avatar also,lol.

Thanks for the info Richy.

Has anyone used the "Dr.ColorChip" system?

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Well no spraying, I apply it with a different brush...sometimes I apply to thick and yes I would have to sand it down but once I got the hang of it I could apply a nice thin coat, apply several times then polish as required. The way I do it is very time consuming but when I'm done it's hard to tell where the chip was...well at least to those that don't know where the chip was.

11. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Do I sense a how to video? J/K bud. Thanks for your help. I might be pming you in the near future.

Thanks Carlos.

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Hey not a bad idea :thumb: Always happy to share :peace: