Best Point And Shoot?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by DieselMDX, Apr 2, 2008.

1. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

Just looking for opinions on a good point and shoot camera for taking pics of the fam and details.:thumb: I read on cnet the canon sd1100 scored well but havnt heard any "real" opinions.

Open to any manufacter and price.

thanx

2. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I use a Canon A80 but it's discontinued I believe. It's about 2-3 years old. Canon's pretty solid from what I've experienced :). Sony's are nice too.

3. DieselMDX

i saw a commercial on the new nikon cool pics looks interesting

4. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

not going to like to you...a lot of the Nikons suck. Sony's sometimes have funny auto WB issues. I like the digital elph quite a bit. I think I am going to be getting one in the following weeks.

5. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

DUDE... CANON hands down.. i had SD400 point and shoot.. now I have CANON EOS30D.. DUDE dont even confuse yourself like I did.. I did alot of research and Im glad I picked CANON.. Quality is superb.. Best place to look for is B&H photo and video. I bought my stuff there and very reliable also.. Any models on CANON for Point and shoot should be ok for your needs... Check COSTCO for deals also... If you check where NIKON is made and CANON, you would easily pick CANON cause its made in JAPAN..

6. DieselMDX

thanx for the advice JDM

7. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

:deadhorse:

8. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

I have a Canon G9 that I use when I don't feel like lugging my dSLR around.

I've been very happy with it, though some may find it a little heavy for a point and shoot.

9. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

I have an S3-IS, it's pretty nice, the S5-IS is out now and is worth looking into.

10. eShine

eShine Guest

Canon A series. I have a A640 I believe.

11. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I'm going to have to disagree with a few on here about the quality of Nikon. I have owned a cool pix before I bought my D50 SLR. The cool pix gave great results although it was the model that was right below the SLR models. With that being said my daughter owns a Nikon Coolpix now that we got for $129. It takes some pretty damn fine pictures especially when you consider its just an 8 year old behind the viewfinder! I have used some of her pics on here as she snapped them for me while I was working. If an 8 year old can get quality pics from a Nikon then you should consider that line too when looking.

12. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

The Coolpix models are great but you have to be careful with which ones you get. Some of them have an awful battery life and will only last you a handful of shots. My mom has a Nikon Coolpix S50 and that thing won't lost more than 80 shots max. That might seem like a lot, but if you're like me and you don't turn off your camera after every shot, the battery will drain quickly. I used to work in a camera store and battery life was the main complaint with Nikons. It's been a while since I've really had a good hands on with a Nikon besides the S50 my mom has, but maybe things are better with a higher series of the Coolpix.

I recommend a Canon G5. Hear me out. It's a great (somewhat) compact camera with a swivel screen that will come in handy more often than you might think. It's a solid built camera and the pictures I've taken are stunning. I know a few other professional photographers who take this little guy on trips with them so they don't have to carry around a huge SLR. The newer G series got rid of the swivel screen (pretty disappointing to a lot of Canon followers who loved the G5). It's a great camera and you can probably find it for a great price by now. It's got a hot shoe for a flash so you don't have to deal with the built in crap.

I realize that its a bit of an older camera, but it takes some amazing photos.

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I bought my wife a Canon SD1000 and the quality is out of this world, I LOVE IT!!!

14. DieselMDX

brand?

15. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Sorry guys. I should have been more specific. I am not sure which camera I used, but on Auto it was horrible. It had built in WiFi..but they camera took some of the worst photos I have seen in ages. I greatly disliked it!

16. DieselMDX

i am thinking about the sd1000 from amazon. any thoughts??

17. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

Owners Opinions: Canon PowerShot SD1000: Digital Photography Review

User reviews from DPReview

Steves Digicams - Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital ELPH - User Review

Sample Photos from the SD1000

Steves Digicams - Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital ELPH - User Review

Review from one of my favorite places to read about new and upcoming digital cameras. The website looks really basic but his reviews are really informative. If you want to get to the skinny, here's his conclusion:

18. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

19. DieselMDX

thank you very much guys!

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

SD1000 for the win, and SO CHEAP!!!