Best place to pickup a SunGun?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by stealthmode, Mar 4, 2009.

1. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

What site would be best to order from? And also hows the battery life and any bulbs blow?

2. stealthmode

Oh yeah and would i be better off just getting a LED light instead of the sungun?

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Save $300 and get the Fenix TK10, trust me

For picking up defects I have not found a better light source, the Fenix LED will pick up a lot finer swirls and RIDS compared to any standing halogen or handheld unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you use it on an angle at different heights off the paint you can picking up hologramming as well, very few lights can do this! Here is some of the finer defects seen under the Fenix at 225lumens (turbo mode)

[​IMG]

This is off a black metallic finish, some smearing, holos were picked up. Metallics are the most difficult to pic up defect on

[​IMG]

The Fenix is about $74 I believe and it runs on 2 CRA123 batteries. Battery goes for a good while but turbo mode will drain it a little quicker. Just get like 4 extra batteries with it and you'll be good to go!

4. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Wow, I may have to pick up a Fenix to add to my arsenal!

5. stealthmode

Do you run it on turbo mode or can you pick up the defects fine with it on normal?

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Pics? Links?

7. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

You can pick up defects both ways but I almost always use the turbo mode because the brighter lighting lights up defects surounding the direct light of the bulb. For example if the bulb shines bright in a 1inch diamter, about 2 inches around that initial beam is also illuminated, this helps when finding fine RIDS and holos.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=650

Thats the new TK11, slight upgrade to the TK10 I have

Here is mine, very small and compact

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Thanks. Thats alot like my LED lenser light I have.

9. stealthmode

I was thinking of going with surefire, since i still own flashlights from them that are about 5yrs old and havnt died on me. But the lumens is around 80max for most of their lights. Would that be good enough?

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I've been contemplating getting one of these. The light of truth. Should get one by this summer.

11. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I just got my Fenix and I'm blown away. It works even better than my CM5300 color matcher or whatever, but they are both useful for looking at different defects. I highly recommend it.

Where can I get those special batteries that come with it and also how do you run it in turbo mode?

12. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I don't think 80 lumens woudl be enough. MadOzodi recently bought a Fenix as well, and he had it over when we detailed a silver 350Z, and I busted out my Dorcy 160 lumens light, and there was no comparison. The Fenix blew it away. So if 160 won't cut it, I don't think 80 will.

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

What is one looking for when choosing a light? Maximum light output? A certain style (LED versus incandescent)?

I've been doing some reading, and the number of high-end flashlights is pretty amazing. Just Fenix has a pretty large selection, and then I stumbled across Surefire, and they've got even more.

Seems like a "nice" flashlight would be useful for a lot of things, not just detailing.

14. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

cant wait to read up more on this thread, lots of good info being passed around

15. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I love my Fenix!

16. stealthmode

I just ordered the fenix tk11 r2 so i should be happy with that for detailing. And i also ordered 2 new surefire's to add to my collection. When it comes to reliability and durability surefire cant be beat...only thing is the fenix had a higher lumen rating. Spent more money then I intended to:doh:

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Damn, flashlights can get pretty pricey, hehe.

18. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Some people collect them like Knives:crasy:. Now that is a hobby I cannot understand but to each their own. For the record my Brinkmann, CM5300 and Fenix are all for paint correction purposes only and not for recreation fun-play:thumb:

19. stealthmode

haha i guess im a collector...yea the fenix will be for correction and thanks dsms for the recommendation:thumb:

20. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Amen to that David! Someone on Autopia commented on my last 599 GTB detail that they couldn't see the swirls that I was talking about with "that light" I was using. I tried to explain that LED lights pick up micro-marring and other defects that no halogen can. For one, the halogen is just too damn aggressive for our eyes to pick up light refractions that minute. Also, if you're in a room where you need to combat other light sources to see defects, the change in color with a LED lamp will do the trick every time. They're also much easier on the eyes. Here's the 2 I usually use when detailing... my Osram spotlight and my Splinter Cell headlamp :)

[​IMG]