Best Mobile Detailing Vehicle

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by mrd0t, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Hello, I'm looking to start my Mobile Detailing Business and am looking for ideas to help with this. Any pictures/make/model would help out. Thanks!

2. MtnRyder

MtnRyder Virgin Detailer

3. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

mrd0t, what's your current vehicle?
    MtnRyder, that's a big ass generator. How much did that cost you?

4. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

What are your goals and scope of detailing? Do you want something like a van, truck with camper shell, SUV, or tow a trailer (enclosed or open frame)? Are you going to be carrying water, generator, etc? A trailer has a lot of pro's and con's.

5. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

At my office, there are a couple of mobile car washing services that come on certain days of the week, servicing those in my building.

Two of them have big vans - like a GMC Savana. That makes it big enough to put a large water tank with a gas powered pressure washer.

Depending on how many cars you plan on doing in one day, (as a detailer, not just a washer, I would assume about 1 or 2 a day at most, depending on how much work is needed) you may opt to use a smaller water tank or even hook up to your customer's water source. Again, this all depends on where you plan to provide your services. People's driveways at their homes? Their water source should be available close by, all you need is a long hose. You may be able to get by with a smaller sized van, much like a Chevy Astro.

You can even tow a small trailer behind your truck/suv if you want to double your vehicle as a daily driver. Trailers of that size don't cost much and it doesn't need to be very big to house all that gear if it is a standalone unit.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide on!

6. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

7. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

The Ford Transit is the vehicle I plan to get in the future. It's not too big and is eye-catching.

-Kody-

8. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

depends how much equipment you want to carry, if it's just basic equipment use that golf in your display picture and if you need the extra room take out the rear seats and put a false floor down :)

9. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I'm going to get an old short bus, paint it black and slam it on some chromies. Tons of space with no seats ;)

But that's when I'm rich...

10. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Using my golf would maybe work, if I have a water source nearby(hose). I'm planning on doing a couple calls a day to peoples place of business or home. I will invest in a Pressure Washer, have a Flex, will need storage in the vehicle for waxes/product/brushes/mf. There is a van like the Sprinter posted above but is slighly smaller...I just can't think of it's name. Also, about how many gallons of water are used on average through a pressure washer? Basic wash, foam, rinse?

11. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Maybe you should look into using onr. I use 2 to 3 gallons of wash water and 2 gallons of rinse and that will do a normal sized car.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

12. amdplus

amdplus Virgin Detailer

We can carry 5 employees, and the equipment

13. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I use my Mazda3 for hauling stuff right now and let me tell you, once you start adding to your arsenal things get tight in a hatchback. I mean try fitting a pressure washer, shop vac or steamer, a few bins of chemicals, and soon enough you're out of room. If I wasn't just a weekend detailer I would be trading it in on a truck or most likely a Ford Transit.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

What does a Ford Transit cost in the US? They retail at $30k up here.

15. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

The Transit looks very good for mobile detailers, but they are expensive in Canada.
    I am thinking to get a Honda Element.

16. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

They start between $23k to $24k in the US

17. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

i have a ford econoline van that i use. it works out great i can park it any where you can park a car. i have a 100 gallon water thank witch i can get 5 to 6 full details or carwashes out of if not more. it holds all my supplies my powerwahser witch is connected to my tank, i also carry a generator for areas where i have no electric plugins. plus plenty of room for any thing else i need to carry like products my extractor, steamer. it all depends on what you want to do and need. most of the time my tank will stay filled for weeks due to me using onr to wash cars when i can.

18. 911Fanatic

At $4/gallon for gas, empty your water tank. 100 gallons is 850lbs you are lugging around.

19. 911Fanatic

Here are some pics of my last van.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WIN Auto Spa likes this.
  20. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

A Ford Transit would be nice, haven't run across any used ones yet.