Best clay for cold conditions

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by mrgolfrider, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I'm trying to take advantage of these last few warm days here in SW Ohio and I'm having a hard time keeping my clay in a somewhat soft state. The clay in question is Meguiars blue clay is what I have been using. I do have DD clay on the shelf available and Gliptone(I think that's the name).

The only thing I have really tried so far was warming up water and letting it sit. That helps for the first initial flattening of the clay but as soon as I start using it with the cold clay lube and ambient temp it is a bare to fold to get a clean section available.

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Try this Matt. I have clayed a few cars here in the last week and its about 40F. Take your bar of clay and tear it into 3 pieces. Throw all three into a container of very warm water. As you use one and it starts to stiffen up, toss it in the cup and grab another. You may have to switch up the pieces each panel but your clay will always remain pliable and easy to work with. :)

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I just have had the same problem and have been using a coffee cup of hot water

4. flatstick

flatstick Birth of a Detailer

Matt,

Have to say you have a great name there , it is mine also LOL !

I have been using the yellow elastic clay in colder weather ( all the time actually )

Brands like optimum opti clay, eraser yellow clay and Riccardo yellow clay are easier to work with in colder temps.

I use ONR for my clay lube with warm water if need be and never had a problem with molding the clay .

I used to use the blue claymagic and it was tough to work with in colder weather.

Bottom line I would say is look for some of the elastic stretchy type clay.

5. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I suggest using Ken's trick. Using a yellow clay (speaking for Riccardos here) it is easier to use in colder weather, but it also tends to "stick" to the paint and leaves behind a slightly yellow stain in the spot where it stuck. That's a b***h to try and get out when it's cold. So, just use the trick Ken mentioned. It has worked for me and I doubt it will stop working any time soon :p

6. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Thanks all! I will have to give all suggestions a try.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

7. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

I just run in the house and warm it up in the microwave (15-20 seconds) when it gets hard to knead.

8. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle DB Pro Supporter

whoever said clay magic blue is tough in the cold is spot on

mother's yellow is a bit more forgiving (maybe all the yellow clays are a little more pliable in the cold?)

may try the warm water trick. claying took way too long last weekend cuz of the conditions

9. richy

richy Guest

I've been doing this for a while now. Warm it in the microwave and then keep a mug of steaming hot water to dunk it in when it starts getting less pliable again.

10. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I used the warm water method a few days ago...worked very well!