Below Freezing

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by mct96gt, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mct96gt

mct96gt Virgin Detailer

Is it possible? Whenever you hose the car down the water freezes on contact with the car. Is it feasible or a decent idea to fill buckets with hot water and just pour on the car to rinse? haha.

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

I think that'll happen if you're in like -20+c
    dont think water can freeze fast enough at just 0c

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I stupidly attempted it one time and even though it doesn't freeze on contact it only takes a few moments for it to ice up. Invest in some ONR and you are golden.

4. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

Maybe water + icing up = the new way to wash the car as all the dirt build up gets stuck to the ice? lol

5. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Winter sucks for cars, but its fun to drift! Honda CRV 4WD, who knew it can be this much fun! Salt sucks...

6. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

lol doubt it, probably more harm then good, just imagine taking a waffle weave to an icy finish and the marring you would induce into the paint or even scratches. When I tried this I was just in the rinsing stage and stopped immediately.

7. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Posted my response on MM man.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have water freeze on a car. During the wash. With Soapy water. Sucks. Period.

9. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Put vodka in the wash bucket.

10. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Hey we have the same combo... i have a crv , tons of salt and me likes to drift :applause2:

11. rm5

rm5 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

i just did it 25 deg and i had frozen suds on the car:duh: I had to quickly try to get as much as possible with a pressure washer. than take it in the garage put some portable heaters. and get this, do a 3 bucket wash. one hot water ,2 warm water and onr . the wheels are the worst water freezes up on those bad boys instantly. in the end got it all clean.

12. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

hahahahahaah
    that sounds like it WOULD work.

Ive just been doing it in the sun,
    or inside. It sucks, im so used to once a week
    washes, now im doing once every 2 if that,and some
    spray downs every day.

13. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

I just go to those coin operated coin washes and hose it down once a week. There is so much snow here and dirt on the road my only intent is to get a layer of dirt off my car before several layers accumulate.

14. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I've already had ONR freeze on me a couple times here in nj. first was actually a three weeks back early in the morning at a customers and just yesterday. it was pushing 28 degrees and fading sun, cloudy, and windy...can you say bad combo? luckily I was at his office and i was able to pull the car in his warehouse and go over the frozen areas with some more warm onr. I usually dont bother pulling it in because there's always activity and i don't want to be in the way but it was necessary yesterday.

i'm really jealous of you guys with shops this time of the year. :campfire: