Been Kinda Bummed

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by littlemissGTO, Oct 27, 2008.

1. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Because the GTO has been outta commission for a little too long. Thursday I'm going to tow it to a friend's garage and a few of us are going to pull the motor out and find out what exactly has gone wrong. The general consensus is that I managed to spin a connecting rod bearing. :thud:
    I'll know for sure when I can get the motor out of the car and pull the oil pan off. Looks like along with addressing the problem I will be putting some forged internals (rods, pistons, etc) in the motor so that it will take a little longer to break next time...LOL
    I'll post destruction pictures for all of you guys that are interested.

2. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Owwwwch!

A fellow MS3 owner recently chucked his #3 rod straight out the front of the block and bent #4. Are forged internals really that necessary on an engine that doesn't see forced induction? Or did you add a blower or turbo without telling us?

Regardless, I hope you get the GTO back up and running. I know how much you love your car.

:comfort:

3. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Sorry to hear that for you Shauna. Good luck. Hopefully you'll have the ole Goat back on the road soon!

4. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

I feel your pain :thud:

My Duramax threw 5&6 through the block when I was in Boise dragracing a few years ago. I was 14hrs from home. You wanna talk about an expensive tow home.....:giggle:

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I had a client spin a crank bearing in his Viper 6 months after he bought it. Chrysler REBUILT his bottom end. They refused to warranty the motor. Now there's some customer service.

6. Crossroaddetail

Crossroaddetail Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It'd take some serious doing to blow an otherwise fairly stock LS motor up....definatly not something you see often. Were you running spray or boost, maybe a poor tune? Those LS motors are renound for being tough buggers!

Good luck getting it back up and running.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hehe, forged internals eh? Are you planning something bigger Shauna? :)

8. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Sorry to here about your gto. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a couple of extra horsepower when it's fixed...:thumb:

9. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

Hope all goes well for you on your GTO, I was starting to wonder what happened to you. I can imagine this will get very photo intensive.

10. littlemissGTO

The cost of forged parts really isn't that much than going back to stock.
    :)
    Oil consumption is the culprit in this case. Will find out what exactly happened when I pull the motor apart. I had none of the classic signs that the car was using oil like crazy. Keep in mind my car sat for 28 days while I was waiting for my radiator to come in.
    Possibly.
    I'd feel horrible if I went through all of this and didn't come put pushing a few extra ponies.

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Sorry to hear about this LittleMiss, it's a DOOZIE when you have to spend money and time just to get it back on the road! Yes, post pics!

12. littlemissGTO

Pictarz as promised:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It appears that there may have also been a bit of an exhaust leak. Time for new gaskets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Cool pics!

14. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting...:tiptoe:

15. littlemissGTO

I forgot to get pictures of the car on the trailer BEFORE we removed the motor. I'll get some after pictures in a little bit. The car sits way funny without the motor and transmission in it.

16. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Ahh I know this feeling. i just killed some rings and my valve train. Probably my turbo too.

17. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

you're not as bummed as my friend.

he spent $10k building the motor his C5 Z06.... went to Iraq for a year. spent more money replacing the clutch, then bought a 2.8l Kenne Bell blower and had to spend another $20k re-building the motor to utilize the blower. he left back to Afghanistan last week for another 6 months without blower installed..... which now in the shop getting the install completed and he has already spent over $50k total on the car with a whole lot more mods to go...... he will eat ZR-1's for breakfast lunch and dinner

he was expecting to feel some boost before he left but the break-in wasn't completed till 2 days before his flight

18. littlemissGTO

Before we got the window up:
    [​IMG]
    After we got the window up:
    [​IMG]

19. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

going offroading with that wheel gap? lol, jk good luck with rebuilt

20. littlemissGTO

I get to buy new connecting rods and bearings. Just got the call about 20 minutes ago. I spun bearings #5 and 6. #7 was on it's way out. I'll have pictures to post later today.