Basic Soap and Detergent Chemistry

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by togwt, Jan 24, 2008.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

This article is being updated / revised and will be re-posted when completed[/B]

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

so let me get this straight the coconut oils in my soap dont do anything? crap:complain::comfort::comfort:

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

They do help to make foam (and it smells nice) but do nothing to clean

4. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Thanks for the info...

From your post as suspected, I gather that “foam" does not aid in the cleansing process .

As others have mentioned the foam can also provide a "cushion" for dirt/debris and means for "encapsulation”.

Question: Wouldn't the increased viscosity of adding soap to the water also provide the same results. I am speaking from a laymen’s perspective but in theory when washing (putting mitt to the paint) would it not be easier to compromise the "cushion / encapsulation" properties that foam provides when compared to the same attributes provided by the just the mixture of soap and water during the same process?

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I don't understand what you're asking?

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

My thought has been that any added benift the foam may add (encapsulation and cushion) would still be present in the absence of foam as a result of surfactants and fatts/oils.. would you agree?

7. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

he's asking if the foam helps suspend the dirt from the paint while washing the vehicle.

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Well as stated the foam DOES suspend the debris by providing a "cushion" and also encapsulate the debris BUT if using a no/low foaming shampoo would these attributes be sacrificed...

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I like foam for the reasons you state, however a surfactant will accomplish the same thing (that's the principle used by ONR)

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Vey good, thank you for confirming my theory