Back to Black, why the hate?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Cheap5.0, May 7, 2011.

1. Cheap5.0

Cheap5.0 Birth of a Detailer

I applied back to black 2 weeks ago on my Grand Cherokee plastic. The process was a bit messy (my fault, learning curve in affect) but its on the plastic now and its looking great two weeks later. I washed the Grand again today with Megs Gold Class, and started to inspect things and noticed the B2B was still looking great so i left it alone.

I noticed it does not get much love on the boards, why is it disliked so much? I applied it to a different vehicle today using a wedge of foam i cut out of a larger applicator and it was very easy to apply, and not messy like before.

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

does it contain silicone? i have it but havent used in a while

3. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

People say it destroys their trim. So thats why no one uses it. Ive had some good luck with it too on my s4. I even applied it to the tires a few times when I was out of dressing. Not the smartest thing but it made them darker with no negative effects.

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Are you referring to Chemical Guys "Back to Black" in the spray can ?
    Dan F

5. Cheap5.0

Im not sure, i did some quick looking around and could not find an answer.

Hmmm that would be terrible. Its working pretty well for me, just dont get it on the paint or glass...it will triple the amount of time you spend on that part.

See above.

6. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I think he is talking about Mothers Back to Black.

7. Cheap5.0

Yes sorry, i meant to post a link to mothers site with the product info. I am talking about Mother Back to Black.

8. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

B2B never lasted long for me, especially in the summer. I don't hate the product, there's just better stuff out there. It seemed to do a good job when I had it, until I tried other products like 303 AP, CG VRP, BW etc... I never heard of it destroying the trim, anybody got stories??

9. Cheap5.0

Of the 3 you listed, whats your favorite amongst them?

10. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Jim at mothers sent me a few of the the bottles to test out he said it has been re formulated and that prep is essential so cleaning with an apc or some ipa will definatly help out also to go back over the applied area with microfiber to remove any excess. I have yet to test it out but will be giving it a try soon

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

11. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I find myself using 303 pretty often, because it's great on interiors, can be sprayed on plastic mesh grills and other trim plastics. BW looks better and lasts longer than VRP on exterior trim, but VRP is quite a bit faster. All 3 are great in their own respects, but I think 303 is a must have.

12. Cheap5.0

I missed this post yesterday. That would make sense, because ive been going back and reading peoples reviews on it from a few years back and what they experienced and what i have experienced are very different. Its still clinging to my plastics, and its been rained on 4-5 times and washed once since ive applied it.

13. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I have the newer formula and still use it occasionally. It is much thicker so it applies a bit better and less messy. With any trim product, you need to clean the surface well. You apply a small amount and work it in well using the minimum amount to get the restoration. If you over apply and do not buff off it will run when wet.

14. Cheap5.0

Thanks, i didnt know that.