Autoglym HD Wax-What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Pats300zx, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I finally had a chance to try Autogylm HD wax after picking up a jar at Walmart for $10.00. This wax was "super hyped" when Walmart was clearing it out. I used it today on my white 4Runner.

I found the application and removal to be a little difficult even after making sure I was applying it super thin with a moist app. The look was ok. The finish was not super slick. It kind of reminded me of working with Megs #16. Durability remains to be seen

Am I missing something with this LSP? I am pretty sure I would not be happy if I had paid over $30 for it. I have used other sealants and carnuabas that are must easier to use than Autoglym.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I think it works best really just as a topper for a sealant, I tried messing around with it a year ago and I found I liked that combo best. Also, I find that if the wax is at room temp, or so it is a little easier to work

3. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

its a good wax.i dont think its worth $65 like most people sell it for. it last for a while but i think there are better and easier waxes out there.

4. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Maybe the wax is not the problem(or maybe it is if you got a bad batch). Maybe you're doing it wrong? I've personally had zero issues with application and removal of the wax and I've always had great results with it. As for durability, my RX-7 is still on the 3 coats I put on last September, and going strong with Rapid Detailer every now and then. It goes for $50 plus tax here and I'm happy to pay that for it.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Pat, trust me, you're not missing anything. I used it twice and gave up on it. There are way better waxes out there that have NO LEARNING CURVE. With all the choices out there, if there's a specific way you need to spritz or moisten your applicator, count to 30, wipe your finger across it, make sure it's 65F inside with a humidity of 14, the time be two minutes past 5 in the afternoon before removing it...

You get the picture :)

Like I've said all along, it's a decent beater wax. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. jjl

jjl Birth of a Detailer

I agree to a certain extent. Maybe they are probably having some quality control issues. I had a lot of difficulty applying it in colder weather, even in a garage. I decided to give it another chance around spring but it still clumps up (albeit slower) but just refuses to spread very far. I end up using too much and get that clumping effect. On the bright side I have not had any issues with removal, find it pretty slick. The initial beading was some of the nicest I have seen, but the headaches with applying probably means I won't be going back.

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Still using the "beater wax" thing eh? LOL I use mine all the time and although I agree it is not the easiest to apply, I have have zero issues removing it even after allowing it to sit overnight.

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I have yet to have an issue when I apply AG HD. I am also still pleased with this beater wax lol. Here is the way I apply it, I have found that it goes on really easy this way, check out the link step #7 in my process;)

Finally applied Autoglym High Definition Wax

9. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Agree with it being a good topper.

You can see the combo I took pics of beading with PL in the Menzerna sub-section.

10. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

is it harder to remove than 476s? I have two packs of this wax in the basement but I never get around to using it yet.

11. Kilo6_one

I think its easier to apply as a topper since the Sealant has created a much more slick surface....... Honestly the best wax i've used in that price range is the P21s, easy on, easy off..... Looks good too, and has decent durability.

12. 911Fanatic

Unlike traditional waxes which need to be applied and removed quickly, the HI Def likes to be allowed to dry before removal. Removing it before it dries will result in smearing.

13. P1et

Haha, love that term!

14. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

How wet are you all getting the applicator they provide? I find that I have to get it wet and wring it out before I apply. This occurs about every 4 minutes it seems like...but I am also in Az....

15. 911Fanatic

I just use a very thin 4" foam applicator dry. I find it easier to get the wax on thin.

16. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

See my post on page one check out the link and I wet mine again every panel or half a panel. I also leave it semi wet I dont wring out all the water completely but I also dont let it stay dripping wet either.

17. P1et

Don't you guys find it a huge hassle to have to wet the applicator every panel or half panel? It reminds me of that Bilt Hamber or whatever it was called that had a giant learning curve. No thanks.

18. Kilo6_one

i never understood why the applicator had to be wet anyway........ makes no sense.

19. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I personally like it, but then I've only used it as a topper for Powerlock and Collinite 845 so I don't know how well it stands on its own. But it does seem to last quite a long time and looks good while doing it. If I can apply a wax over Opti-Coat I will probably be putting a coat of AG HD on it, just for the hell of it.

20. 911Fanatic

Hater.