Audi RS4 Custom Vevtureshield Install by Unique Car Care

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This Audi RS4 is a few years old and has been very well maintained since it was new. The owner was interested in having the existing paint protection film (clear bra) removed and wanted it replaced with a better quality film with additional coverage.

Although the film did its job protecting the paint from stone chips, the original clear bra was starting to get cloudy and turn yellow, so it had to go! Our plan was to remove the existing film and perform a fully custom install to the entire front end of the car including the complete hood, complete fenders, complete front bumper, side mirrors, headlights, A-pillars, rocker panels and rear quarter panel splash guards.

As you can see in the pictures below, the existing film was starting to get discolored and was very dull compared to the factory paint finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first step was to remove the existing film by heating it with a heat gun in order to warm up the adhesive and make removal easier. Some of the adhesive remained on the panels, which was easily removed with some acrylic solvent.

[​IMG]

Once the film was fully removed and the paint was free of remaining adhesive, I clayed all paint surfaces being covered in film to ensure there weren’t any bonded contaminants present. It is very important to have the paint as clean and perfect as possible before the install to ensure there is a perfect foundation for the film to adhere to. Once clayed, I followed behind and polished all areas to remove any light scratches and paint imperfections.

[​IMG]

Full polished and ready for the install…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the car was fully prepped for the install, we started by installing the hood using bulk film in order to cover the entire panel without having any seams. By using bulk film instead of pre-cut pieces, we have the ability to trim the edges about 1/8 inch longer than necessary in order to wrap all edges over for the clean and invisible end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full fenders…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full front bumper coverage…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocker panels completely covered…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-pillars covered…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear quarter splash guards (high-impact area)…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headlights covered…

[​IMG]

And last but not least, the mirrors were covered using matte film in order to maintain the matte silver finish of the mirrors…

[​IMG]

Here are the final results!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. frankiman

frankiman Birth of a Detailer

Cool.. but why? After this, there's no more fun.. no more glaze, wax, sealant.. only thing is it might get stone chip and will have to redo some area in 2-3 years no?

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Spectacular job. I absolutely love the RS4. The stance is killer.

4. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

I enjoy reading your write-ups. That's some really good work!

5. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

looks great! i should really look at getting this done.

6. ericeng2

ericeng2 Two Bucket System Washer

really nice looking! but why did you stop there? might as well have done the windshield, taillights, exhaust tips. Heck, the whole car! you did 75% of it already! hahaha.

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Great work!

8. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

Great work! Out of curiosity, how did you learn to do this? Did you teach yourself or take some sort of training? Thanks!

9. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great job thanks for sharing! promoted to article on the home page.

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great job Rick. Install looks fantastic!

11. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

She looks clean! Great job!

12. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Tightness..........

13. ramprun

ramprun Any Rag Vehicle Washer

how did you get ventureshield? i thought they were bought out by 3M

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

3m bought venture, you can still get venture as well as 3m at 3m distributors.

15. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Top notch work as we've come to expect from you Rick! That's the only way I like film installed, full panel wrap! :thumb:

Have you guys played around with the self healing film from Xpel? Really impressed me at SEMA and wouldn't mind learning how to do it myself. ;)