APR tune 2.0 TSI. Anyone running one?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Kilo6_one, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Just trying to get input, Im thinking APR or GIAC......... anyone run one of these tunes in a 2.0 TSI?

2. joffems

joffems Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Boostedmk6 is running APR stage 1. Last time I spoke to him he only had great things to say.

I plan on going straight to APR stage 2, but it will have to wait until the fall sale.

3. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Combined with the intake it pulls very strong. You wont be dissapointed!

4. Heck

Heck Any Rag Vehicle Washer

5. Kilo6_one

K, yeah there is a shop about two hours from me that does the installs. My buddy used to work for HPA, I should talk to him.

Only reason why I was thinking APR was the fact of an installer is so close to me.

All I have right now is an uninstalled P-Flo, but eventually Ill do a Downpipe and possibly an exhaust. Trying to keep it quiet actually.

What are your thoughts on the control being through the Cruise Control stalk? Im just used to my Accessport from my STI which was very straight forward.

6. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I am running APR stage3 now. STAGE1 is worth every penny stage2 you won't notice a huge difference at all. Using the control through crusie control is easy.

7. Heck

APR is a few hours from me dowm in AL. They have a full service shop just like HPA.
    Really the tunner that is nearest is the best, in case you must reload the tune.
    I like the cruise control stalk control, works for me.
    I am sure your aware of the three stages, most use stage two. APR makes more horsepower but the torque curve is not as good as HPA they make a little less HP, but a much bigger torque curve. Torque makes it fun to drive on the street. Max hp for Racing...

8. Kilo6_one

Yeah, only issue is there are no HPA dealers locally or near by and I would have to send in my ECM.......... but the good news is my friend is at HPA tomorrow so hopefully he can grab me a down pipe and such.

BTW, this is the car. pretty much used for picking up my kids at school and going to the store, no racing going on here LOL

[​IMG]

9. Kilo6_one

@Heck, that is one reason why I was looking at GIAC, they have a better torque curve then APR, difference in price is about 250.00.............

10. Heck

If you where going to keep the car? I would buy an second ECU for a savaged unit. Have it programed for your car and then be able to swap as needed. best of two worlds. I do not know if you service the car yourself, if not any dealer can tell you have a tune installed and the car is noted in VW mother computer.

11. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

12. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

owned a farenheit gti mk 6 and ran apr stage 2. no problems whatsoever. lots of track days all over the northwest. best thing on the car though was the Alcon Racing brakes. 14 inch rotors on a vw. finding racing gas was always interesting though. actually put a whipple supercharger on at their headquarters in Fresno on my show truck in 05. spend a day and a half in fresno seemed like a month. ha ha.

13. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I wouldn't worrie buy a bother ECU no reason to put your self through the hassle. My car is stage3 and it goes to the dealer ship all the time. The only time they will car is something you changed damaged something. If you go APR works with VW on all their stuff so it's a much safer tune for your car.

14. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Ever looked into unitronic? They are highly overshadowed by the more popular apr, revo, giac tunes but they are top notch! Unitronic or apr would be my top choices.

15. Holden

Also, if you plan on getting the tune I suggest you start looking at clutches as well. The stock TSI clutches are crap compared to the older FSI clutches. Almost everyone has reported clutch slippage a couple thousand miles down the road.

16. Kilo6_one

Yes, I plan on keeping the car, that is a very good Idea. Ill look into buying a seperate ECU...... that is what I did with my truck when I had it tuned.

17. Kilo6_one

Yeah, a month in fresno is a life time in hell if you ask me.......... every time I go through Corvalis I cry. Eventually I want to move there, it sucks really bad here.

18. Kilo6_one

On an automatic? Yes, I looked into unitronic, but I want to have a tune that can be installed locally by a professional and there are no unitronic dealers anywhere I live.

Thanks for the imput guys........ still not sold on the switching with the cruise control stalk. Too bad they don't have a secondary plug in unit like GIAC

19. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Honestly the cruise control stalk is a non issue. I haven't even bothered switching back to stock in two years.

And the clutch issue is only with manual, DSG can handle a lot more than stage one.

20. Holden

My apologies, made the assumption you had a 6speed. No worries then, I've seen dsg's handle stage 3 no problem.