Applying Wax...Bare Hands

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by eShine, Oct 24, 2007.

1. eShine

eShine Guest

Is this some sort of marketing thing? Applying a wax with your bare hands?? I only see negatives to this.

-My hands are extremely tough. The years of building custom cars has made my hands bulletproof! LOL. I can burn em, cut them and not feel a dam thing! If these beasts touched a freshly prepped finish it would be swirl city.

- Pressure, an applicator aids in distributing even pressure and will also apply the product evenly.

Today I was doing some testing for a line of wax we are coming out with and just to amuse myself I slapped some on my hand and waxed the hood of my Jetta. About 10 seconds into it I thought "Is this a fackin joke?". I was expecting a guy to jump out of the bushes laughing his ass off saying "OMG, you actually fell for it!"

Discuss...

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I am not sure, I usually don't wax by hand, but I have tried it a couple times. Ask Mike about this. I do feel more "in touch"(no pun intended) with the finish though. I am pretty sure even Paul Dalton gave up on waxing by hand. :D:D I do believe he found foam.

3. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

there are alot of arguments for and against waxing by hand

the two big fors are

1. the high carnuba content requires the wax to melt (if you have played with zymol you can feal the wax, and feel it melt). If you do no you dont get a proper mix of wax/solvents

2. wax applicators absorb solvents, the wax is more "diluted" at the end becasue the applicator has abrorbed solvents. To get a mroe even mix you apply via hand

as for it being a mess, yeah its going to be. It takes a few applicatons to get used to it. It took me 5 or 6 before i was really confortable doing it, now its not a mess, i dont waste product, and its just as fast.

some say marketing gimic, others say necesity, it all just depends the school of thought

4. eShine

eShine Guest

I assure you although Carnauba does have a low melting point, the temperature of your hands will not melt it. I have held Natural Carnauba and it looks/feels like chalk or cement. The Carnauba is softened using chemicals and would always stay softened. The paste will flow better when heated mainly due to the oils in the wax (Zymol is high in oils). Just like bacon grease in a frying pan, the grease will melt when you touch it. I can't see an applicator selecting what it absorbs, there is no way a piece of foam will separate certain chemicals and not others. The wax was blended at much much higher temperatures and if designed properly will not separate.

5. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Calgary, have u tried to apply Titanium with an applicator pad? How about VIctoria Concours? If so, how were they with an applicator pad?

6. Nica

Nica Banned

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh: that's funny but yea I know what you mean hahahaha. I'm sure you of all people know the properties of wax ;) I've been wondering the same thing every time I apply wax by hand. Oh and when you said your hands are rough and the exessive pressure could and will mare the paint, yup even Paul Dalton admits this happening and that's why he uses a foam applicator, it all depends on the vehicles clear coat. Apperently Ferrari's are known to have a very soft clear coat and if you try to apply wax by hand there is the risk of indusing more micro marring.

Funny thing is that when Paul Dalton anounced that he used a foam applicator people were shocked, but using an applicator has some advantages. I've been talking to Clark from Polished Bliss UK and he's been teling me that with a foam applicator you get a very fine, thin layer of Vintage, not only do you get a consisten thin layer but you don't waist any product or induce any micro marring.

Now some people use the following method when using an applicator, some will melt the wax on there hands and then apply it to the foam applicator but there is a much better method that Clark shared with me. That is with the help of a 1000W lights put the foam applicator close to the lights letting the lights warm the foam applicator then just simply put the foam applicator on top of the wax...it's like putting butter on bread.

I've tried both methods and I personally prefer using the lights, works really slick. I have to admit, I personally enjoy feeling out a vehicle or I like to call is "man handeling the vehicle" hahahaha. I remember the first vehicle I tried applying wax by hand, what a mess that was but when you get the hang of it, it's quite fun...lol..Chris just don't do it in poblic hahahaha...actually I've done it in publick and people where all around me wondering what the heck I was doing...:rollinglaugh: at the end after I explained the whole thing they looked up to me...even though I'm short hahahaha

7. Calgarydetail

I have tried both, and both worked weel. The only thing to note is that the applicator will want to grab alot of the wax since its soft wax, so you need to make sure to really spread it.
    but both those waxes work fine with an applicator, when i het vintage i will let you know how it goes with and applicator

8. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Cool thanks a lot for the info :D I know I will be getting Victoria someday and applying by hand sounds really messy. I know I will try out both ways though.. I actually have soft hands, but if I continue to play a lot of guitar I may develop callouses on my fingertips on the left hand.

9. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I bet if people saw me waxing my car by hand they'd think I'm an idiot :p.

10. Calgarydetail

you would be suprised, people walking by and see you doing it, it catches there eye, they say high. after a qucik explination you have a new car to do :rollinglaugh:. you look ridiculous but people love to say there car was "masaged"

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Yup, I agree with Calgary :cool:

12. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

It does look like you're actually giving your car a spa treatment :p

13. Calgarydetail

I am, i take better care of my car then i do myself