applying vinyl decals

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by cleanfiend, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

is there a recommended process for applying these?

id like to know proper surface preparation and advice on how to apply. thanks!

i want to throw on my fatlace vinyl that i just picked up this weekend. its a really cool little shop

[​IMG]
    mine is white :thumb:

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

just clean the area with something like IPA, if they are vinyl you can spritz the panel with little water so you can put it down and position it. Take a CC or a squeegee and get the water and bubbles off. Wait about 5 min and take the transfer paper off.

3. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

is using water recommended over just sticking it dry? and ive seen some people saying to use a soap solution, but im afraid that it would interfere with the adhesion of the decal

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Depends on the vinyl, but most vinyl decals are made to be installed with a soap solution so you can position larger decals. Now from the picture it looks like a small decal so you can do it dry. Just take off the backing paper and positioning the decal in the place you want it start from the left or right and hold the decal at a low angle and start to move a squeegee or CC and putting the decal down so you get no bubbles. If you get a few tiny ones try to push them out. This is also where the soap solution (24-32oz water with few drops of soap in it) helps as it helps get bubbles out faster.

Video For Install:

YouTube - Wet/Dry vinyl decal application

5. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

Thanks man, you are always a ton of help! :worship2:

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

haah no problem. But that is not what my Mum says, lol.

One tip also if you are waxing and do get some wax buildup on the edges of the vinyl take a Q-tip and some IPA to clean it up. Keeps the edges from not looking messy and caked up with wax.