Applying Gtechniq C5

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Zatrekaz, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Zatrekaz

Zatrekaz DB Forum Supporter

I purchased a bottle from a member here. Would it be ok to apply it to wheels using a new foam applicator? Got some new wheels coming in tomorrow.

Also, this stuff simply goes on and there's no buffing? Any tips to applying it such as how much, what direction to move the applicator, ect would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kaleo

Kaleo DB Forum Supporter

I wouldn't suggest using a foam applicator as it will soak up way too much product for you to apply. The key with these coatings is super thin application. I would suggest going to walmart and head over to the makeup aisle where they sell those cotton make up remover pads. Make sure you get the one that says no lint because when you start to rub the coating into the surface you don't want the pad to start to shred on you. I personally picked up my C5 from Ranney here at PakShak and he was kind enough to provide several of these pads with the coatings (C1,C4, and C5).

To give you an idea of how thin to apply, I have 22" wheels on my truck with a 3.5" lip. I take the C5 and with the pad covering the bottle I would flip once and I can thoroughly coat half of the lip. My wheels are multi spoked so with that, i've personally noted to self that it takes me 3.5 dabs of C5 and two pads per wheel to thoroughly coat the lip, lug holes, and all the spokes. You will want to work in small sections at a time because the product does flash fairly quickly dependent upon your local ambient temperature etc... I personally work on the lip first then buff off immediately using the bulk MF's you can pick up at Costco or Sam's Club. You have to sacrifice MF's with these coatings because once you get coating on them, it will not wash out and will crystallize once it dries out in the fibers.

The first time I used C5 on my rims, I didn't buff it off and then when it dried you could see the streaks like how you would notice an oil slick on water. I took it down to PakShak and showed Ranney to see what I did wrong and he mentioned that I needed to buff it off as it was excess that dried on. I only got PakShak towels and was not going to waste them after one use, but he advised me that I would have to sacrifice some MF's. That's why I recommend the cheaper Costco/Sam's towels. Besides these tips, it's straightforward and easy to use! Just remember small sections at a time and thin thin thin! Post pics of your wheels when done if can!

3. Zatrekaz

Thanks for the helpful response!

I will run by walmart today and pickup some cheaper MFs for this. My only concern with that is adding micro marring due to the low quality MF? Also... would you suggest a normal MF or should I go with a low plie MF to help with the no lint aspect? Also going to grab some of the makeup applicators as you suggested.

Another thing... so you do buff the surface after applying? Do you let it sit for an amount of time or simply apply, and then buff? Also... do you buff like normal or do you simply glide the towel over the surface a few time with minimal pressure?

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Use a low pile mf to knock down the high spots. You have a 2-3 min. window to knock it down. Very minimal pressure is needed.

5. Kaleo

Kaleo DB Forum Supporter

A short nap mf will be fine. You don't have to worry about marring on wheels unless if they are painted. As stated before its literally wipe on then buff off as you don't wanna wait for it to set. You don't have to use a lot of pressure to take it off, just buff until you don't see the product on the wheel as you'll start to see the gloss come out.

6. Zatrekaz

Should I apply in a straight or circular motion?

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

It doesn't matter...just a thin coat.

8. Zatrekaz

Got it applied. Could barely see it on the rims (silver clear coated). I applied thin coat to small sections and then lightly wiped it down afterwards. The water bedding is crazy, and just rolls right off the rim. Soap does not even like to stick.

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

How long before the rims can get wet?