application of leather cleaners and conditioners

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by TheJakeR, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheJakeR

TheJakeR Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What do you guys use to apply your leather cleaners, conditioners, and protectants?

I have used the costco yellow MF in the past, but I feel that there are probably better tools out there.

Ever since I picked up a good amount of detail brushes, I realized how much my results were held back because of method of application.

What inspired me to ask the question was the Swizzwax leather brush on DD.com

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=281

Opinions on this brush? Opinions on other brushes or methods of applications of leather cleaner/conditioner/protectant?

I will most likely be using leather masters trio or lexol cleaner and conditioner

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Swissvax leather brush is the very best leather brush you can get. Its bristles are firm, but not too hard like of many other brushes. Use it with a leather cleaner to deep clean leather. As far as leather conditioner - apply Lexol with MF applicator. It's kinda sticky, and I prefer MF applicator for this. I applied Leather Master conditioner with my bare hands, as I didn't want any product to be absorbed in applicator. By you can use MF applicator with it too.

3. TheJakeR

Awesome! I will add the swisswax brush with my next order of LM trio. I have the lexol right now and as soon as I am through with those bottles, I'm going to give the LM trio and the swisswax brush a try :]

any other recommendations for leather cleaining/conditioning tools besides what I have listed here? Leatherique may be in my near future, but what else does everyone find useful in tacking the majority of leather detailing?

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

good quality MF towels.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

For more information see article “Automotive Leather Care ” in the Detailing School section

6. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

I would also get a small nail type brush (autowerks exclusive sells them) to clean out the seams and other small areas. I personally just use a soft nail brush, a microfiber pad with a mesh scrubby side and the good ol yellow micro fibers which works very well.

7. TheJakeR

I was reading your thread a couple minutes earlier. That's what inspired me to review my thoughts on leather care, since it's an area that I often overlook since many of my clients are focued more on their exteriors.

I do not use that much interior product, but when I do tackle them, I hope to be as competent as I am on exteriors and paint correction.

Have you written anything on leatherique or has anyone you know written a good article about it you would recommend reading? I think I should pick up both systems as I will probably find leather interiors where the leatherique would be better suited than the LM trio.

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Leatherique
    [ Leatherique arose from a need to find a product that would restore the leather in his 1939 Bentley. Nothing he tried was adequate for this special car, so he approached Peck about creating something new. After a lot of work, they produced Leatherique”] [Leatherequi]
    [Leatherique Prestine Clean is part of a two-step leather maintenance system. Step one - Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is a protein collagen complex that is absorbed into the hide to nourish it, and while it will expel dirt to the surface, it does not harm the dye in any way. This oil nourishes the leather and forces contaminants out of the pores.
    Step two - Prestine Clean then removes these contaminants from the surface of the leather and leaves it with a clean, matte sheen. This is the only leather care system that calls for the conditioner to be used first, and it makes perfect sense! The leather absorbs as much of the oil as it can and expels the rest to the surface, along with all the contamination.] [Leatherequi]

Comment
    According to Leatherequi you apply the (conditioning) oil first and then the cleaner, so it must first dissolve its own oils, limiting its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather. They state that their cleaner will only remove dirt (oils) not the Leatherequi oils. I would question how does the cleaner distinguish between oils (i.e. the most common dirt in leather are body oils followed by suntan oils and then oily residue brought in via the a/c) that should be removed and Leatherequi's conditioning oils? (See also oils)
    In my opinion the chemistry behind the Leatherique system simply does not add up, whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process (i.e. cleaning and hydration) it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort.
    The products collagen and elastin proteins cannot soak in to finished leather fibres; no matter how long you leave it (even in a heated environment) simply cannot permeate the polyurethane covering.

You should avoid using these types of conditioners for coated leathers. If you use an oil-based product the problem will be exasperated as the oil will attract dirt/grime to the surface. This product also contains lanolin, waxy cream and white spirit that can react with the coating used on today’s leather. It's a great product for the renovation or restoration of old English leather hides or other uncoated natural leather.

9. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I am using Autoglym hi-tech hand pad and chamios for cleaning, love it actually. Very durable, i always scrub my hand pad against the grit guard and wire out the water and it is ready to go again. Not too sure how effective it is compare to a brush since hand pad is the only thing i use.

I use soft yellow applicator pad for applying leather conditional.

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

As I understand it, the best and safest way to clean leather is through foam action. I use Leather Master strong or soft cleaner depending on the job. I have it in a bottle with a foaming sprayer (Tolco Foaming Sprayer) and apply it with the Lowes Proline Grout Sponge. I spray some on the grout sponge and give it a few squeezes until I nice thick foam is formed. MF's and foam applicators do not create enough foam. If necessary due to excessive dirt on the leather, I might agitate it with an MF. For really tough jobs I give it a light scrub with the scrubbing side of a foam applicator (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpro-cs.html) if the job requires it. For the conditioner and protectant I use a standard soft foam applicator.

11. TheJakeR

Wow lots of good info here. Thanks all!!

12. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

how do you guys apply your leather masters? i have a set of seats i am doing tomorrow and the client says they are pretty bad.

13. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Check out my post (#10).