Apple sued for iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G, 3GS

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by detailersdomain, Nov 5, 2010.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Apple sued for iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G, 3GS
    by Erica Ogg

Since iOS 4 was released in mid-June, iPhone 3G and 3GS owners have complained that the software has their phones seemingly grinding to a halt: slow keyboard response time, frozen unlock screens, and a battery that drains faster than with previous versions of the software.

Now a deeply unsatisfied customer is taking her iOS 4 complaints to court.

On Friday, San Diego resident Bianca Wofford sued Apple for violating the Consumer Legal Remedies Act, unfair business practices, and false and deceptive advertising. In the suit she claims that iOS 4 rendered her iPhone 3GS completely unusable and that Apple support has provided no recourse outside of buying a new iPhone 4--and paying AT&T's early upgrade fee--or jailbreaking her phone to downgrade it to some version of iOS 3, which would void her warranty.

She also says that Apple knew that the update would cause slowness on older model phones--the 3G and 3GS--and went ahead with the problematic update anyway.

The court papers (embedded below) state:

"Apple's intent was to ... proliferate its new iOS 4 into the marketplace. Plaintiff is further informed and believes that Apple engineers knew that iOS 4 would substantially undermine, impede, degrade, and decrease speed for consumers who owned third-generation iPhones rather than the newly release iPhone 4..."

She also alleges that Apple concealed this and if she and other iPhone 3G and 3GS owners had known that iOS 4 would degrade their phones' performance they would never have upgraded in the first place.

Apple hasn't said much publicly about the issue. Steve Jobs allegedly told a customer in August that an update was "coming soon"that would fix the problems, though the authenticity of the e-mail wasn't confirmed.

Wofford is seeking class action status for her suit, and is asking for unspecified damages as well as $5,000 for every person whose phone was bricked by iOS 4, and an injunction on Apple's current marketing of iOS 4.

iOS 4 Lawsuit

Read more: Apple sued for iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G, 3GS | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

2. Jose206

Jose206 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

$k5 per phone? Thats outrageous and downright low.

3. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

She does have at least a stepping stone to stand on.....

since upgrading my 3GS to 4.0 most of my apps behave erratically, the most irritating problem is the apps closing themselves immediately after clicking on it.

the battery problem is also an issue.... i used to be able to use 3G and/or WiFi to access the web most of the day and still have a little over 50% left before i went to bed and i wouldnt ever use my phone the entire next day, just leaving it in silent mode.... with 4.0 i can barely get a full charge to last me one day.

With a jailbroken iphone, there are tweaks that can be done that will turn off background processes that are of no necessity.... and they are able to last DAYS on one full charge of constant use.....

I am really thinking into downgrading the OS so i can finally jailbreak my phone and not have to deal with this BS.... the iphone IS an amazing phone.... but the software programming SUCKS

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

she definitely does.

all 4 of my iphones 2nd gen and 3rd gen they are now paper weights.

5. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I have iPhone 3GS with iOS 4 and I don't have any problems so far. I did notice decreased battery life but it's nothing for my purposes.

6. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

thank god i havent upgraded yet!! i almost pulled the trigger(clicked upgrade) but my laptop batt died right before so i was saved

7. Devinh

Devinh Virgin Detailer

i upgraded and immediately regretted it because it slowed down, froze, the battery issue, everything. i can't believe someone is going this far for it though. i was just going to buy the iphone 4 next week because i was tired of the phone freezing, closing apps, being super slow, etc. everyone i know with the 4 is fine. but i'd be ok with getting 5k too.

8. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

The 5k number is very reasonable considering she has to cover the lawyer's costs but Apple is just going to crush her.