Anyone work on Jaguar XKR paint?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by DJ_JonnyV, Jan 26, 2008.

1. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Well, my dad wants me to do a light polish and wax on his '08 Jag XKR Portfolio. It has some minor swirling from him incorrectly washing / waxing it which we already discussed and hopefully rectified. Here's a couple of pics from when he first got it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, wanted to see if anyone had recommendations as to how Jag paint is overall. I'm thinking starting out with white pad and 106FA to see how that goes with Flex on a 5-6. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

my father has the older style XK8... I foud it to have hard clear, Its fun washing and waxing, but not so fun to polish.. but yeah if they have the same paint on the new XK's its hard

3. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

jag paint here in UK i find is soft-meduim and find 106 works great to knock swirls out. Have however come across very hard Jag paint aswell

4. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Man these new XKs are so nice, I always think they are AMs when I see them on the road!

5. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

my buddys dad has an XK...it had some HARD clear

6. DJ_JonnyV

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. I'll start with white and 106FA. Of course, this is what I started with on the Lexus I did last weekend, and it got me nowhere fast. Next step is obviously IP or SIP and white then orange. So, I still haven't busted out the SIP I got from Phil, would it be better to look there before IP? I'll probably still hit it with 106FA afterwards to give it that extra shine.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice :druling: vehicle :druling: :druling: :druling:..more :picture: please :druling:

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Would it be innacurate to assume that Jaguar CC would be similar in nature to Ford CC?

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Beautiful car, I really like XJ and XKs.

10. DJ_JonnyV

Just got it back to my house. He washed it yesterday, so I think I'm just going to do a quick wipe down on it and go to town. More pics coming.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Look forward to them :waiting2: :waiting2:

12. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

The Clear is hard. Although they are a Ford company, I belive that Ford uses BASF clear and Jaguar ( Ford of Europe ) uses Standox Premium. Its pretty hard, but is thicker than most, and if needed wetsanding can be preformed on deep scratches, even 1200 grit.
    Jag used to use Glasurit like Porsche and Ferrari, but they switched for durability. The only issue is that the harder clear on the new cars is that it chips very easy. But man , Jag must have a very nice paint application system , because the finish is realy FLAT compared to its compition.

13. Showroom Shine

Showroom Shine Birth of a Detailer

I have one client with a Jag. The big one XJ9, or the Vanda Plas. I agree the clear is hard. This one had water spots on it. This was before I was introduced to Menzerna,and the Flex. The last time I did it these 2 products handled it quite easy.

14. DJ_JonnyV

This thing is a be-otch!!! I found a pretty good combo with SIP and orange pad that took out the swirls leaving just the deeper scratches. My dad just wanted the swirls gone and didn't want me to mess with a multiple-step polish. Well, as luck would have it I'm ending up having to polish the damn thing twice anyway. I noticed that the SIP was leaving smears (or something). I tried seeing if they would wipe up with some QD spray, but wasn't happening. At first, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Quicly reached for the 106FA and a white pad and it is clearing things up nicely. About crapped a brick at first. I'll try to get a pic of the smearing. I was thinking there's no way in hell I burned through the clear. Anyway, I'm heading back out to try and finish the 106FA. BTW, this stuff is kind of a pain the rear to work with as well. Seems like it just never breaks down no matter how little I use and how long I polish. And I'm talking basically smaller than a pea sized drop. Thinking about trying some FPII or Micro Polish to see if it would work the same but easier. Here goes...

15. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I LOVE Jag paint! One of my favorites to correct.

16. DJ_JonnyV

Again, thanks for all the feedback. So, here's a pic of it in the sun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't look bad, right???

[​IMG]

Not so good.

As posted earlier, I was feeling pretty good about this one the progress I was making:

Some 50/50 shotes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I noticed this:

[​IMG]

This is what I was talking about in an earlier post. Looks like some kind of hazing to me. Would wipe off with QD and MF. So, started with 106FA, but got annoyed with it and went to MicroPolish. Here's a 50/50 with the haze and polished using MicroPolish:

[​IMG]

So, all is well in Jonny's world again, but this scared the hell out of me. Paint's looking reall good now - wet and deep. This was the first time I've ever used SIP, so not sure if there's a learning curve there or what. I was using it the same way I would use IP. Temperature today was 60 degrees. Didn't think it was too cold for Menz.

I'm beat after this one. :kick2: Have a few areas to hit yet tomorrow, then apply some Glanz on it. Pop's is just wanting sealant on it during the summer. And, to be honest with everyone, the Flex was a pain in the butt today. Not sure if it was the Menz polishes or what. Didn't matter which Menz polish I was using, the thing was hopping, skipping, walking like crazy. This is the first time I've ever really had this type of behavior from the Flex. Really mixed emotions on this one. It's cleaning up nice, but I'm all beat up from it. Drinking cold beer now. :drinking:

17. Nica

Nica Banned

That's interesting what your mentioning about the Flex hopping, skipping and acting up. Clark of Polished Bliss UK was saying some Jap vehicle he has detailed were acting up just like you describe and he concluded that it was something on the paint it's self :confused: something that may have been applied at factory not exactly sure as Clark has no proof it it but other UK detailers have experiance what your describing DJ...as for the hazing I don't ever recall getting that my self but it could be micromaring :shrug: I've had that happen to me and it looked that way for me as well, what I was getting was more like buffer marks or something like that....again just my thoughts though.

18. Rydawg

That is one sexy looking car!

It might have been the weather. SIP always worked great for me on Jag paint, but different temps will make it act wierd. I have not used a flex, so I have no idea as if it was that.

When using SIP, put 4 drops on the pad at 12,3,6,9, o'clock around the pad, 1 inch from the edge of the pad. I never put any on the center of the pad, as it will result in hopping. Work it in for a minute to dispearse the polish evenly, then turn up the speed and work it in.

19. Rydawg

If you are getting those blotches, those are reactions from silicone being in the paint. Menzerna from Germany and I have talked about this and they said most of their polishes do not play well with cheap oily silicone based waxes/qd'ers.

20. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Beautiful Car!!! :thumb: I hope you have a write up coming up!!! The car looks fantastic. I think I'm going to have to do some research on Menz and different Paints.