Anyone use 3D Yellow Degreaser?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Emile, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Hey,

Has anyone used 3D Products Yellow Degreaser? It has a pH of 12 and safe for all wheels, only $16 a gallon + $12 shipping. Dilution ratios are 4:1 for heavy duty, 10:1 for medium duty, and 20:1 for light duty.

Seems like a cost-effective wheel and tire cleaner. Any experience?

Thanks,
    Emile

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Meguiars APC is a few bucks less and can be diluted in the same fashion and is also safe on painted panels and what not too.

3. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

At 38 dollars a gallon shipped I don't see how its very cost effective honestly. Especially when you can pick up a gallon of zep citrus degreaser at home depot for like ten bucks.

4. Emile

Meguiar's APC is not safe for wheels or paint at any ratio, I specifically contacted Meguiar's about this.

3D Yellow is $28 a gallon shipped, not $38. Zep Citrus Degreaser is a great product, I use it to clean my driveway but I stop there....not effective at cleaning brake dust and road grime at any dilution.

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have always used the APC (green one) on wheels and never had issue. pH is within range, looked at MSDS and has all the usual APC chems in it...dont see why not, if you can use it on fabric and leather, it should be good on wheels. Now uncoated Al wheels is another story as for that you pretty much limited to shampoo, p21s or something like that.

UK guys are saying this stuff is Megs APC alternative as they recently had a price kike in the UK for Megs so people looking at alternatives and 3d seems to befitting the bill for most of not all of Megs pro line.

6. Emile

Yeah I know that all factory wheels are coated these days and APC probably won't harm the wheels but all these new wheel cleaners seem to be really good at attacking stubborn/sticky brake dust while products like Meg's APC and Zep Citrus are more general purpose cleaners that are jack of all trades, master of none.

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Like I have said in the past many times, even if I dont clean my wheels for two months I can still clean them off perfectly fine with a bucket of Opt car soap and a ez detail brush, few mins per wheel. After I finish up my diablo I wont be buying a wheel cleaner again.

If you think Megs APC/Zep is a jack of all trades, then 3d stuff is going to be the same. Maybe looking into DoDo Mellow Yellow, I know you got one coming in from the UK still which looks promising from reviews I have read.

Just get a steamer :), multi-use tool and works great on wheels also.

8. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

I have successfully used it along with a ton of other people i know as a pre treat for lower panels to loosen stuff up and if i really had stubborn stains on the inner barrel of the rim.

Other then that you shouldn't use a degreaser for cleaning rims. Use a product that is formulated to clean rims . . . . . though the degreaser will work for cleaning just about everything else including tires etc . . . .

Where do you live? I'm only asking that because i see that it's $12 to ship a gallon of product to you.

9. Emile

Ankeet, my car is the same way. I have no problem using just soap and water. But my dad's S550 gets brake dust like nobody's business. Even if I clean his rims and wax them, a week later they are caked in brake dust and it's not easy to clean them. The barrels are obviously much worse and I don't get to the barrels every week.

3D Yellow is designed as a wheel & tire cleaner so I think it is going to be better at cleaning wheels than a general purpose cleaner. At the very least, I think it is worth trying out and I am willing to go through with it.

Btw, I got a call from home saying that a very special package from out of country just arrived in the mail for me this morning. :worship2:

Look for a review, link, and some more info by the end of the week. :applause2:

I think we should create a list of wheel cleaners for Detailing Bliss members, stating different wheel cleaners, the pH level, and some brief info and make it a sticky. That would be a cool reference/guide for a lot of the lurkers, huh?

10. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

How can you say that zep citrus is not effective at cleaning brake dust or road grime at all? I find it to be VERY effective. What do you think so many guys on here use it for? To take up storage space? I'd suggest giving it another shot. Jack of all trades but master of none? Its a master of cleaning nasty stuff, and that's what its supposed to do. I use it on road grime, tar, wheel wells, tires, engines, and sometimes on carpets and nasty interiors and in my foam gun. It find it to be very effective at all tasks.

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Oh trut me wheel dust and German cars go together like a stripper and glitter...GTI get break dust by the I drive down the block! Looking forward to seeing how the new cleaner works...may have to sample it...;)

12. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

oh god VW's and BMW's are horrible in terms of brake dust . . . . . . there is no right and wrong method for the most part.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Everyone will have a different product that works good and a different process.

13. Emile

vtec, I live in NJ so that is why the shipping is on the pricey side for me.

billybloo, if it works for you then that's cool. I'm not out to stop anyone from using what they want to use for their detailing process. But I wouldn't be caught dead using Zep Citrus on my rims or anywhere else on my vehicle because it smells like Citrus and ass mixed together, it makes me cough, it's just not fun for me, and the bottle says "not safe for painted surfaces." That's all the evidence I need not to use it or even keep it on my shelf. I've been through several 32oz bottles and it just doesn't do it for me.

14. richy

richy Guest

Emile..try Zep's purple degreaser, it should cut through your brake dust as well as ANY apc could. It's very strong stuff and a bargain too. If it can't do it then I would suggest that no APC could and you'll need something like Megs WB to accomplish your goal.

Edit...I see your further comment about not safe on painted surfaces..not true if left on for a reasonable amount of time.

15. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

lol i still use good old wheel acid to clean the harsh stuff but you really got to know how to use it an i love it an the cost is cheap aslong as you don't have to get it shipped i get mine from the truck that comes around from the companies.

16. Emile

Aaaawww, snap! My Espuma Revolution came todoay! Woohoo !!!!!!!

17. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

yeah there are some acid based products that work crazy well! I wouldn't mind trying out the Zep Citrus APC. Going to check that out later.

18. Emile

Ankeet, you were right, my friend. I cleaned the wheels of my father's car today, after ONR-ing it yesterday. I tried just rinsing the wheel barrel, and then brushed half of the wheel barrel with the Uber Wheel Brush (dwelling in a bucket of CG Liquid Suds Pro/DP Xtreme Foamula) and it cleaned the area like mad. Sprayed the other half generously with Sticky Gel 2:1, let it dwell for a minute, and then rinsed (no agitation with brush), and it did nothing.

I really under-estimate the power of soap and water, and a good brush.

Now, what to do with all my wheel cleaners. :shakehead:

19. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Like I have said soap/water and a brush can do alot of cleaning on clear coated wheels.

Wheel cleaners, well I will take some of that new stuff ya got :). You can just send it all over actually. :applause2:

GTI dust up like mad but never been a pain to clean even after a month or two.

20. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I've been looking to test this. Let me know how it does.