Anyone hear uses Dewalt 849?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by 95cent, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 95cent

95cent Virgin Detailer

I just bought it from a local bodyshop and wanted to ask what pads you guys recommend. I currently have pads which the bodyshop gave me which are blue coral brand. Any recommendations are appreciated.

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

The dewalt is the industry work horse! It is the same as the B&D, snap on...etc, rotaries.

Really solid machine. I have used one on several occasions, nice but kind of heavy. Any pads work on it, just change the backing plate. I personally like the megs one, but I am biased.

3. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

My first rotary was a Dewalt, it was a beast. Now I have a Hitachi and I really like it.

I like the 6.5 inch LC pads with the rotary.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Nothing wrong with the Dewalt, like sneek said it can take a beating and keep on going. I personaly don't owne one, I have operated one for a few seconds though lol. It has quite a bit of torque and works great like all the other rotary's at paint correction. It is heavy but like all other tools once you get the hang of it you'll enjoy it. As for pads, I personaly am not a big fan of the 8inch pads. I've used them and they work great on large flat surface but when your starting off it can produce quite a bit of hop, skip and can be a bit hard to control/direct. I personaly like to use pads in the range of 5 to 6.5inch pads. One big reason for the smaller size is that I feel I get better control and can direct the rotary much better. As for brands, can't go wrong with Meg's foam pads, my favorite is the Meg's Polishing pad. That bad combined with Menzerna 85RD3.02 does some wicked correction :headbang: I also like the the Lake Country, they deliver. I'm starting to really enjoy the Sonus pads too, great size and works great with just various products (polish).

But that's just my :2cents: hope it helps :peace:

5. SpoiledMan

SpoiledMan Birth of a Detailer

I have the B&D (old school) and it was my first rotary. I've had it since '96.:D

6. 95cent

95cent Virgin Detailer

Thanks for all of you guys for sharing your thoughts on the dewalt. I came from doing just hand polishing to using PC, and now to a rotary so your guidance is much appreciated. Like you guys, I'm just a dude that wants his cars to always look good.

7. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I have one for sale the only downfall on this unit is that its heavy.

8. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

:D Lets find out how good they are!

3 rotaries in 1.5 years! I know how to beat up a rotary. Hitachi seemed too problematic to order. PC had some sort of issue. Makita has no CS for western Canada. I want to see how this bad boy goes.

9. detailersdomain

dam didn't realize you were in canada.

10. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Yikes...I just paid for it!

11. detailersdomain

if its bad I will let you know.

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I am like Spoiledman, I have two B&D(old school) buffers that are over 20 years old. They have been through everything and keep working. Like said above, they are a little heavy but the durabilty is incrediable.

13. SpoiledMan

Yes it is! I also have a Metabo and Hitachi. I'm *no* fan of the Metabo.

14. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Whats BandD?

15. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Black and Decker.

I just sold my Dewalt 849. Was a great rotary. I need the money more than a rotary though, so it had to go...
    No complaints since I owned it.

16. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

I also have a 15 year old B&D and have no complaints. I used a Dewalt for two years and it was a nice machine.

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Spoiledman, is it because the Metabo is so light, that is my biggest problem with it. Plus I like the weight of the B&D, helps with correction.

18. SpoiledMan

No it's not traditional in respect to controls. I'm looking for a home for it and a nice light machine to replace it.

19. Joyriide1113

Joyriide1113 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I own an Dewalt 849 I got for Xmas two years ago. Its my back up. Its kinda heavy and I'm used to the makita style handle. Its high torque scare me a bit too. lol

20. exoticGuy

exoticGuy Birth of a Detailer

I've only used the Dewalts since I started power polishing about 5 years ago. Last spring I bought one for personal use at home. I love the machine, and have become used to the weight of it. If I wasn't, the 4-stage polish I did yesterday would have hurt like crazy! lol I've had those things running all day without the machine complaining at all. For pads, I use the Car Brite pads, and just bought the 3M Ultrafina pad to use as well. All 8" pads.