Any of you guys got...

Discussion in 'Sale, Trades, or Bargains' started by JLs Detailing, Oct 16, 2009.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

a subwoofer for a car that you are looking to get rid of? I'm looking for one but looking to possibly trade some high end products for one that a member here might be looking to unload. Just hit me up via PM if you are interested and maybe we can work something out.

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I don't right now but I did... my advice would be not too look for something of decent quality, but go for the gold with subs. I find that the silicone housing comes undone sometimes.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

what size are you looking for? What amp do you have to power it?

4. JLs Detailing

Looking for something like a 10" or smaller. I'm not looking to shake the windows out. As far as amps go I had a co-worker give me 3 amps that he was no longer using. They are older amps but work. 2 Blaupunkts and a Sony. I haven't really gone through them just brought them home and figured I might try to get a sub hooked up to one for my Mustang.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

PM Sent also forgot to say that its already enclosed in a box.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Why would you want more bass with your Celine Dion?

7. acc1079

acc1079 Guest

His Kenny G isnt hitting like it needs to be!!! :p:

Just kidding man. lol

8. Denzil

Denzil Guest

On a similar note, has anyone seen a setup for a '94-01 Integra? I'm looking exactly for what JL's looking for, just a little more bass. Right now I have Polk Audio db6501 components with Infiinty rears and those alone don't supply enough bass. :(

Sorry to piggyback on your thread JL but I must know! :D

9. Cooter

Cooter Guest

You can get Kicker Comps @ crutchfield for $50.00 10in sub. I've got 2 Comp CVX in my car and they're really nice. They're like the round version of the Solo-Baric. One reg Comp 10 should do you nice.

Be sure to check what the ohm load is on the amp as far what ohm load its stable at.
    Then make sure you get the appropriate ohm subwoofer.

10. pektel

good advice, heath.

jl, you probably won.t be able to go lower than 2 ohm. see what those amps rate, and find a sub that will handle slightly higher wattage. be sure to look at rms (continuous) watts, not the max.

Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices! or Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers have great deals.

in my car, i have a kenwood 9104d (iirc) amp, which puts out 900w rms x 1 at 1 ohm, and a directed audio 12" sub rated at 1200w max (600w rms). its more bass than i.ll ever need. the setup on one of the above sites should only cost about 350.

11. Cooter

Cooter Guest

There's so many amps/subs/component sets out there its not even funny. Way more that it was in my time. There use to be like 4 or 5 brands to pick from (kicker, fosgate, alpine, kenwood,pioneer). Maybe one or two more but the options were not near as plentiful as it is now.

Get a good name brand. Keep in mind the old adage- You get what you pay for. Get a high quality amp and sub. Maybe ask an installer what he would put in your car if it were up to him.

12. JLs Detailing

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

13. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

I got a nice 10" eclipse in a bandpass box, but man that thing will be a b**** to ship.

EDIT: just to add on to what everyone else has said, dont ever fall for MAX wattage. That means nothing. RMS wattage is the real number.

14. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

its all about rms, woofer material, correct sealed enclosure volume, and running at the lowest possible ohm rating your amp, and woofer can handle.

This will help with your setup:

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

15. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Yep. RMS or continuous power it a true indication of what the AMP puts out. My advice would be to invest in a mono amp (one channel) designed specifically to drive a sub. You can bridge a two channel down to a one however it was designed to be a two channel amp. Also know the resistance of the sub, 8 ohm, 4 ohm, 2 ohm etc.. It plays a role in the output of the amp as well.

16. pektel

So, I think what we're all saying is... you probably want to buy a sub that's compatible with your amp, instead of just trading for any old sub. Or, by telling us what amps you have, we can tell you if we have one, or give you advice on which sub to buy.

What's the model #'s of the amps you have?

17. JLs Detailing

Ok here's what I have and keep in mind these were "free". I'm just looking to add to my system in the Mustang to help the bass out. What I have in the Mustang right now is:

Sony MEX-BT5000 deck

Kicker 3.5" in the dash

Kicker 5.25" in the door

Kicker 5x7 in the back panel

What I got for free was:

Sony XM-701 amp

Blaupunkt BPA 2120B amp

Blaupunkt BQA 208 amp

There was also a Pioneer EQ-6500 equalizer in the box that I wouldn't mind hooking up if it was wise to do so.

I've installed all my own stereos since I was 16 and have installed numerous others for friends but this is my first venture into an amp and sub. If it's feasable I might add a sub to my Jeep as well with one of the other amps. In the Jeep I have a Sony MEX-BT2500 deck. And yes I love havint the Bluetooth technology so I can stream Slacker radio from my Blackberry through the stereo. Now I can cancel my XM subscription for both cars! Anyway guys any advice and wiring tips would be greatly appreciated.

18. pektel

19. pektel

But having trouble finding the rest. The other blaupunkt amp appears to be a 4 channel, so no go for a sub.

20. JLs Detailing

I did find this on the Sony XM-701:

2 CH/PULSE PWR SUP/SWTHABLE INPUT SENS/BRIDGEABLE/4 OHM R, ~~0 45A

Looks like it came out in 1987. Supposedly that's back when Sony's were very good in the amp arena. I think this was actually made in Japan.