Another Opti Coated 86!

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by cu2mike, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

Hey everyone, here is another FRS that received the new car prep + opti coat treatment. This firestorm (I think it's firestorm?) belongs to a member on the 86 forum.

My customer from last Friday showed up towards the end of the detail to have the rear license plate area opti coated. If you remember, I wasn't able to do it for him last Friday because the thread on the left bolt appeared to be stripped. He figured out a way to take the bolt out. Well, when he arrived the car was COVERED in dust and pollen due to the fact that he moved from Irvine to Burbank (That's easily over an hour drive), so I washed the car for him and opti coat sheeted the water right off the paint! Everyone present was amazed at how well it worked. We were even able to dry his car in the sun without any water spotting!

I didn't document the wheels/tires/fender well getting scrubbed because that's.... well standard procedure lol.

Here is the car getting a bath after I scrubbed the wheel/tires/fender well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here the car got iron deposit removal treatment, it was hard to photograph the purple on the paint, but you can tell it's there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See all the iron deposit (the purple stuff) on the ground there? Yes even a new car would benefit from this process!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all the washing, claying, and iron deposit removal was done, I spent about 40 minutes taping up everything I didn't want to accidentally run my polisher over

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car came with the free dealer installed "scratch option" as you can see in these photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after opti coat was applied

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Nicely done again on the FR-S!

3. cu2mike

Thank you, Drew!

4. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Nice job !!!

5. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

damn im falling love with these cars

6. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Good job! Wasn't it fun to work on? :p The curves make washing this car a good time.

7. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Wow amazing job Mike!!! That red looks extremely wet! Great job on the past 2 86's!

8. cu2mike

Thank you!
    Seriously, they are good looking cars. If they made 300hp instead of 200, it'd be perfect!
    Thanks Joey! I'm sure a 7 would be more fun to wash/polish though! :p:
    Thank you Marc! I'm going to Vegas this weekend to do another red one lol.

9. JoeyV

See, this, I don't agree with. The reason behind it is simple: Very few people can push the car to its limit where it needs more power. Until that limit is reached, what it currently has is more than enough to get it around a track fast. :p Yes it would be faster in a straight line, but that isn't the point of this car. If it was, they would've just put the badge on a modded Mustang or something of the sort.

lol. Hey, if you wanna come up and have a go at it, be my guest. I keep telling myself not to do it since it's my track car. I may end up giving in eventually.

10. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

ewwww sick work!

11. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Nice job. I know that Toyota's pure white does not have clear coat. Someone recently said that Totyota's red is also non clear coated...is that true?

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

C'ome on MIKE............. how do I know you even cleaned the wheel with out the obligatory wheel brush in the frame picture?

lol.

13. JoeyV

I am going to have to confirm this tomorrow, but I highly doubt that there is no clear coat. With the paints these days, almost everything has a clear coat. This car is not that special.

I just spoke with my wife and she confirmed that all the colors at Toyota are currently either pearl, metallic or Micas. So yes, these all have clear coats. I can't speak for the older Toyota car paints, which I believe is what you are referring to with the "pure white".

It's mostly 90's cars that had "no clear" enamel type paints. Mazda had some and so did Honda. Can't speak for other manufacturers.

14. cu2mike

I would if you weren't so damn far Joey! lol
    And as far as having 300hp instead of 200hp..... Well maybe it's because I'm used to the turbo 8 I had, and that was putting down a healthy 300RWHP. Lightweight car like such with a good amount of power is perfect for the track/daily driver for me!
    Who knows, maybe one of these days I shall own a 7, and make sure I do the proper cooling mods + intake/exhaust/downpipe/fc commander :)
    lmao thanks Franki
    The firestorm was a non metallic paint, and it definitely has clear coat as my green pads didn't turn red
    Shut up Karl, "Standard procedure"! lol
    It does indeed have clear coat Joey!

15. Kilo6_one

Not gonna lie, I think the both the Subaru and the Scion version are ugly........ may have to grow on me, I saw one in person the other day and it was meh.

16. cu2mike

I've only worked on the Scion version, I thought its a good looking car. The interior is certainly not very Japanese, it's a good change on the interior lol.

17. Kilo6_one

ill reserve final judgement until the STI version if ever comes out......

I did see a fixed up TC that looked pretty cool...... that car took awhile to grow on me, but eventually it did. So who knows.

18. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Did you confirm that Toyota's pure white does not have clear coat and I'm speaking about current models.

19. JoeyV

As I said, I can't confirm about pure white because it's not a color in the Canadian market. All whites at Toyota are clear coated in Canada.