Another M105 Question/Alternatives

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by jetblackZ4, May 2, 2008.

1. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

I've read the comments in the other Megs 105 thread but wanted some slightly more specific opinions. I'm using the Flex DA with Sonus SFX pads and Menz IP. Spcifically, for heavy swirls and scratches I use the Yellow SFX pad which is their most agressive.
    I use about 2 or 3 pea sized dabs of IP and feel that I'm getting the IP to break down properly. I break it down at speed 3 or 4 and then spritz a little water on the pad and go over the same area and break it down again at a higher speed. Usually up to about 5 or 5 1/2. Sometime finish at 6. Depending on the results I may spritz more water on the pad and go a 3rd time. I think I'm getting about 80 to 90% correction depending on the paint and condition.
    Having said all that, what I'd like to get opinions on is what other combinations people think might give me better results. I know this is purely each persons opinion. I don't plan to go to a rotary at this time.
    I was thinking about M105 as a more aggresive product but I'm looking for any/all suggestions before I try something. I also wonder about another pad type. People talk about wool pads and 3M pads but these don't seem readily available in Canada or are they? I get most of my stuff from Chris at eShine now.
    So I'd like some thoughts on this and thanks in advance.
    G

2. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

See if Chris can get you a sample of SIP. I remember DaveKG posting what he thought the differences were between IP and SIP.

*Indigo Montoya voice*

Lemme sum up...Humperdink little less half an hour

Whoops, nvm.

Seriously though...DaveKG said he believed IP's abrasives were more brittle than SIP's which lead to their being broken down too quickly. Because of this, he believed IP was a better hand polish. Henceforthwith (w00t! I got to use it!) SIP's more stout abrasives, when subjected to pressure from a machine, are able to do more correction before the heat from the friction causes breakdown.

Have you tried using IP at Flex speed 5 straighaway?

3. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

I do recall reading, probably DaveKG's thoughts, about IP being more brittle than SIP.I was planning on getting SIP when I used up the rest of my IP. Afraid if I liked the SIP too much I would waste the IP by not using it up.

I haven't tried going straight to Flex speed 5 with IP.