Ammo Creme Reflective Paste Review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Daniel Shook, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Daniel Shook

Daniel Shook Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm new to this forum but here is a review I just did a couple days ago on Ammo wax

Ammonyc.com is where it came from.

Ammo Creme Reflective Paste Review
    [​IMG]

So this all starts when I had been looking around for a mid/high-range ($50-$100) wax. I wanted something that wasn’t tried and true and wasn’t used by everyone and their neighbors. I was looking for something out of the ordinary that I could review and hopefully contribute to this community with. I picked Ammo.

Reasons Why:
    I picked Ammo for a few reasons. When I started watching the “Drive Clean” series on Ammo’s website was when I first realized what detailing was and what it was about. I used to watch those videos and think “Wow, that’s something I could do and enjoy”. This was partly because of the near immediate gratification that it brings.

Another reason I picked Ammo’s wax was because I liked his motto:

“AMMO is designed with a different set of rules: to endure long drives, high speeds, and punishing track days. AMMO is made specifically for people who care about the way their car looks, as much as the car’s performance.” - Ammonyc.com/story

That motto fit my goals perfectly. My car is not, nor will it ever be a garage queen. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it but I want to drive something I’m proud of, something I couldn’t stop looking at as I walk away from it.

The last reason I bought this product is simply because of it’s low profile in the detailing community. I have yet to see a review of it or an I have only heard about it through Ammonyc’s facebook page, his site, and a couple of his youtube videos.

Product Description (from manufacturer):
    “AMMO Crème is meticulously hand made, highly reflective carnauba wax that creates paint depth, clarity, and the coveted “wet look.” Use AMMO Crème on top of AMMO Skin for concours reflection and total protection.”

How The Car Was Prepped:
    Let’s just get this out of the way now so I don’t have to worry about it later.

2004 Screaming Yellow Mach 1
    Washed and Stripped the car with CG’s Honeydew snowfoam (1 oz per gallon)
    Clayed the car using Mothers medium clay and CG’s Speed Wipe
    Did a wipedown of Carpro Eraser over the entire car
    Used m105 on a Cyan Hydrotech pad
    Eraser wipedown
    Used m205 on a Green BnS pad
    Washed (since it had been a day) and did another Eraser wipedown
    Applied Ammo Creme Reflective Paste by applicator pad

Initial Impressions:
    I have had contact with Larry over the past few days prior to and after ordering this product from him and he seems to be a pretty straight forward guy. Never once did I feel like he was a salesman pushing his product onto me by using “big words” and making ridiculous claims like some of the other guys do.

I received the wax on the second business day after ordering it. I paid for the normal flat rate shipping and I live in Michigan so he’s not too far away if everything is coming from NYC but still very impressed with the fact that I got it so quickly. I didn’t expect it until Thursday or Friday. The day after I got the wax I got this in the mail from him (the stickers came with the note as well).
    [​IMG]
    This in itself is worth something to me. This is so cool that he would take the time the write this card out. This is not something you receive from a big company/manufacturer.

The wax is red which suits it because it smells a lot like big red (the gum). It smells like carnauba wax with a hint of cinnamon. It’s not overwhelming by any means and as someone who doesn’t even like big red or cinnamon candy this stuff smells great.

The consistency is comparable to Pete’s 53. It’s buttery smooth and melts very easily when applying any pressure with my finger but it is still a solid wax.
    [​IMG]

Packaging:
    When I opened the package I was surprised due to the difference of the picture of the canister on the website and the canister I had received. There was nothing wrong with the pot I received but the text was in different colors and it’s much flatter and wider than the picture on the website makes it look but it wasn’t hard for me to get over this since it will not make a difference as to how the wax works.

I like the canister it comes in. It has a seal on the lid which is very nice and the cap spins as I would expect it to. The opening on the canister is great. Very wide mouthed, but this worked just fine for any of the 3 different size applicators I had around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Application/Removal:
    The application went as expected. A little went quite a ways and it went on very easily. The wax was very easy to spread even on cold paint (it was 30 degrees outside, the paint was approximately 39-41 degrees). I was able to spread a thin even layer thanks to the widemouth of the canister. I felt like I was chewing big red while I was applying it.

It removed surprisingly easy. I put some on a small part and let it dry up for a while to see if that would make it difficult to remove and it still was not. I followed the directions and did a panel then usually about 2 more, depending on the size, and went back and removed the wax from the first panel. Came off extremely easy.

Results:
    Let’s start with looks. The car looks absolutely amazing, if I do say so myself. This wax provided a gloss/wetness that it didn’t have prior to applying the wax. It looks absolutely amazing. I did my best to try to capture some pictures of the paint after removing the wax:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the trunk up to put the wing back on and had to take a picture of this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secondly the ability for it to bead water. It beads very well straight away. My car has no sealant under the wax and the beads were uniform and tight. I was very impressed:
    Ammo Creme Reflective Paste Beading - YouTube

Thirdly, sheeting. Again I was very impressed with it’s ability to sheet water. I didn’t know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. It was sheeting water so well, but don’t take my word for it: (Sorry for sideways video. It looks fine on my phone, don't know why it is like this after I uploaded it)
    Ammo Creme Reflective Paste Sheeting - YouTube

Also, the wax leaves the car feeling very slick. Very easy to run your hand over and no drag at all.

Final Thoughts:
    Thanks for reading. I hope this was helpful and entertaining for you who stuck through it til the end. I would not only recommend this wax to others looking for a wax in this price range but I would buy it again myself. The wet factor and richness this wax left on my paint is just insane. I am very happy I made this leap of faith and my car couldn’t look better.

Attached Files:

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Someone say ammo?

3. Daniel Shook

Daniel Shook Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Huh? lol

4. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

Spend some time here and you will realize that kilo (Karl) is big on guns and likes ammo for them...lol

Nice review! Thanks for sharing

5. teksmabrep

teksmabrep Virgin Detailer

Thanks for taking the time out to do this review. Awesome write up. I've been looking into the Ammo products as well.

Signature Blue Auto Care - New York