All Purpose Cleaners and Degreasers

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Supertuner, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

What exactly would be the difference between an apc and a degreaser. Could I use a degreaser for cleaning the interior. I have heard a lot of good things about the zep citrus degreaser, but does anyone know if the have a good apc, and does it smell a little too toxic, I was thinking about the citrus degreaser for dirty platics, wheels, engine. What are your thoughts on the zep products and how do you use the degreaser and apc if theres is any good?

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Degreasers

There has been a recent increase in interest in strong, low VOC degreasers. In general degreasing cleaners use three mechanisms for breaking down and removing grease and / or oil (1) dissolving the grease with a solvent ( 2) encapsulating the oils with detergents so that they can be washed away with water and (3) chemically changing the oils so that they can be washed away with water. Most degreasers use a combination of all three of these techniques.

Manufacturers of degreasers put in a small amount of Sodium hydroxide, which help turn the oils to be cleaned into soap. This is a major reason why degreasers are so caustic. Since the user is going to be cleaning a lot of grease and oil, the formulator puts a lot of extra caustic into the cleaner to break down the grease and oil into soap.

All purpose cleaner (APC) should be MSDS checked on a case by case basis. D-limonene (citrus) are usually a safe apc type cleaner

3. richy

richy Guest

I'm a heavy user and a big advocate of Zep Citrus and degreaser. I use the Citrus for wheels if they're not too bad with brake dust, on paint if not left too long to dwell and on tires as well. It can be used on the wheel wells and trim as well. All of these uses I cut it 4:1. You could cut it 10:1 and use it for interior. You won't need to use much. I find the degreaser to have a caustic odour but not the Citrus. You could get away with just buying the Citrus and trying it out at different dilution ratios. Or get both...the degreaser is very very good at cleaning tires and engines. Again, I cut it 4:1. Hope that helps. BTW, look into their green glass cleaner which can be cut 32:1 and works very well.

4. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

zep an carbrite not to bad i have used before i really like the p21s citrus the opt apc i use to alot it all depends on how you mix it. i think so many mix it wrong than blame the products an when they finally mix right they are wowed by the results.

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

With all this Zep talk, I may have to drop by and just pick up a gallon to see for myself, haha. If I dont like it I know my rents can use it for cleaning garage floor up...I got some 1z W99 coming also so maybe I should just start cleaning patios around the complex. haha.

6. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

yea i went to see what i need to stock up on for summer not the zep but other stuff an products i use an did not realize how low i was getting now i have to spend a few grand thanks alot richy:shead:

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

What you low on that you needa spend a few grand haha?

I looked in my closer last night and saw that I had a surplus of many things...time to look through the stuff again and do a clearing out sale in few weeks. Got another 4-5 packages coming in so I will see what stuff I really have surpluses of haha. :thud:

8. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

thanks for all the info on the zep citrus, there was another product of there's that I might try out, it's the high traffic carpet cleaner in the red bottle. have any of you guys used it with good results, do you dilute it a little or just full strength, also is it safe for upholstery.thanks

9. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Did you happen to try the carpet cleaner yet? Does it compare to Folex at all if you have happend to have used that also?

10. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i wanted to try the zep citrus but when i read the bottle it wasnt supppose to be used on automotive stuff like carpets etc. can anyone clarify that? im low on apc and need to grab something.

11. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Do an advanced search for Zep, there are like 9 good threads on it, and make sure you search for titles only. Alot of people use it 10:1 on interiors.

12. richy

richy Guest

I've used it and I like it. The cool thing about it is that it has an enzyme action to it as well which is great for things like food spills or barf or things like that. You need to let it dwell longer if you have that type of stain however. The instructions on the bottle are good.

I was recommended these products by two guys on here who's opinion I highly value. So you can imagine my surprise when I went to HD and saw the warning label about paint and carpet. I put back the purple degreaser and Citrus. I followed it up with my sources and they said as long as you don't allow stupidly long dwell times, you'll have no problem. I've been using them now for going on 2 years with no problems whatsoever. In fact the products have been nothing but outstanding. They're locally available, cheap, and very effective. What's not to love?