AG Custom Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Rcrew, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

For those of you that use this product, why do you like it? What situations is it best for, and where does it fall short? Thanks!

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I like it because 1) it cleans very well, 2) it leaves behind a nice shine to the wheels, like no other cleaners I've used does, and 3) it doesn't smell like sewers. I don't think it falls short anywhere, considering it's a non-acid cleaner.

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I'll add a few.

It is very cost efficient in comparison to other cleaners such as Sonax and P21S Gel.
    Ken carries 5L jugs of it with $8 shipping.
    It cleans tires extremely well.
    It works great in foaming head sprayers to make it even more economical, and I mean it really stretches the product through a foaming head.
    It can be cut 1:1 in some circumstances.

$53 shipped for 5 liters of product. Cannot be beat.
    Autowerkes Exclusive :: Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner (5L) :: 2008 :: Shop

4. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

As Reflect mentioned, it cleans tires like no other. The only other wheel cleaner I used was SCG and it did a good job but CWC did it better and cheaper.

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

It does what a rim cleaner should, cleans rims and it does it well. Add to that its incredible tire cleaning abilities and it stands out. The price just tops it off.

Sure, it doesn't have psychedelic color changing visuals that will make you swear you are having flashbacks from your 1st Grateful Dead concert but, Is that really what you look for in a wheel cleaner?

6. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Its only short-coming, if anything, is that you need to brush. It doesn't seem to be as good as P21S Gel and Sonax if you want to do any touch-less wheel cleaning.

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I have used both P21s Gel and Sonax - they do not get rims clean without a brush for me. I mean sure, they get the rims cleaner but not clean enough to present to a paying customer.

I am always curious when I hear people say they can do touchless rim cleaning with "X" product. Then I buy/try it only to find it didn't get the rims clean enough. Then I am left asking myself:
    1) Are the rims I am washing more dirty than people making these claims
    2) Am I doing something wrong
    3) Am I expecting better results than those making the claims....

8. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

I would suggest it comes down to standards. While I would say Sonax will remove a great deal of grime without agitation, it usually doesn't get to a level that I am happy with unless I agitate with a brush.
    Not calling anybody out here, simply saying that Sonax sans agitation might be perfectly acceptable for some folks and not for others.

9. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

If can't eat off it, it's not clean enough. So no products will do a good enough job without agitation for me. So, I go for the one that will get me the most for my money, and in turn for the clients money. CWC is my cleaner of choice, second only to one...which I won't name just yet. (still doing some tests:p)

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

^^^ What he said

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Here is what I have noticed, Sonax does a great/ awesome job on wheels that have never been maintianed, and it "helps" break down the grime. I still have to agitate it, sometimes even clean it twice.

Nothing wrong with that, but with that said, the cost per unit is not justified for me when I can use CG citrus gel, diablo and AG for a fraction of the cost and still have to put in the same amount of work.

They are all fantastic products IMO. just each senario demads different products and labor

12. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

custom wheel cleaner is a great all around wheel cleaner. its a staple in my detailing arsenal. while i do like sonax, i usually reserve it for the really grimy stuff or poorly maintained wheels as an alternative to using mild acid cleaners. while some do claim that sonax is capable of cleaning wheels "touchless" with just the cleaner and a powerwasher, i have not yet been able to accomplish this to a point where i was satisfied that the wheels were completely clean.

13. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Good point, DGAS. I didn't mean to be misleading. Anyone who knows how crazy I am about wheels, knows that I will always do a follow-up brushing because nothing guarantees fully clean unless you brush and use the appropriate wheel cleaner for the task.

I feel that P21S and Sonax both do a better job than CWC when it comes to touchless wheel cleaning, but none of them give me 100% results until I break out the brushes.

The OP wanted to know any short-comings, and this is CWC's only short-coming that I am aware of.

14. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks everybody, I appreciate this informative discussion!!:headbang:

15. Kilo6_one

well I got my diablo and citrus wheel cleaner from CG, both very good products for maintance washes.... the gell is sticky, and equated to p21s in the way it cleans. I was very impressed and two 16 0z bottles diluted filled up two gallons, so its cost effective which is what Im looking at too. I still have my CWC comming from phil to try out.....

16. Any discount codes currently for Ken?

17. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Nope, he just ended a sale on the 31st. Well that is to the best of my knowledge...

18. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

kens new 8 dollar shipping is a discount in itself. hooray

19. Kilo6_one

8.00 flat rate shipping is awesome, especially since UPS, Fedex just raised thier rates again......

20. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

i use this cleaner several times a week on my supra's polished aluminum wheels. I have no clearcoat on my wheels and to have a SAFE cleaner that will not damage the bare aluminum, that cleans this well is just amazing.

I cary two wheel cleaners when I am mobile detailing. Meg's wheel brightener for nasty stuff, and the CWC for the nice cars that aren't neglected.