After Much Search, Found Ultimate Hose/Reel

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Money2536, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Money2536

Money2536 Virgin Detailer

I couldn't find much info. on hoses and reels, so I figured I'd share my findings. I'm sure there are some others out there that are ridiculous like me and willing to pay for "professional grade."

I just bought and moved into a new home, so I decided I needed to get rid of the Home Depot hose & reel and find a better combination. I wanted a reel that is well designed, a hose that is bulletproof , a few spray nozzles that are heavy-duty, and I didn't want any leaks.

I made a few mistakes. I couldn't find a well designed, heavy-duty reel, so I decided to attempt to adapt a quality air hose reel. I bought this Reel Craft hand crank reel and decided I would try and use a few adapters to make it work for a 5/8" hose. They only make it in 1/2" size.

General Use Hand Crank Hose Reels (Series C) on Reelcraft Industries, Inc.

I underestimated the difference in size between a 3/4" or 5/8" hose and the 1/2" designed reel. I wanted a 100ft. hose, so this didn't work. Oh well, I now have a nice air hose reel. That was a $135 mistake.

I had already found the hose I wanted:

[​IMG]

Car Wash Products | Car Wash Hose | Auto Detail

This is a Good Year Rubber hose that has 3/4" hose and 5/8" fittings that swivel to help with kinks. This hose is uber expensive at $130 plus shipping, but I'm guessing I'll have this thing for the rest of my life. It is one serious hose. I would highly recommend spending the extra money. I would caution you that it is heavy when filled with water. You better be working out if you want to move this thing around.

I was super frustrated as I got the hose first and then the Reel Craft reel. I took one look at the hose and then put the reel next the hose. I said to my wife, "I screwed this up." There is no way this monster hose was going to fit on this reel. I thought I was going to have to go buy another crappy Home Depot reel and just replace it every few years like I have been. I just didn't think I would find anything to handle this serious hose.

So I get back online and stumbled on the Rapid Reel. I don't know why I didn't find this thing earlier. I saw it on Griots Garage's website, but I hadn't had any success buying gadgets from Griot. They typically end up in the trash. I then found Elay's website. I was sold.

[​IMG]

Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel - 150 ft - Rapid Reel

This thing is perfect! I wish I found this thing a years ago. Just be ready to pony up $140 plus shipping.

Add on an Adam's shut-off valve at $20:

[​IMG]

Best Car Washing Products | Car Wash Tools | Shut-Off Valve

Adam's Fire Hose Nozzle at $60:

[​IMG]

Car Wash Accessories | Car Wash Detailing | Car Wash Nozzle

Elay's Pistol Grip Nozzle Set at $60. This thing is heavy duty. I bought a couple of Gilmour nozzles and they are junk. I would highly recommend this as I don't like using the fire hose nozzle when cleaning the wheels:

[​IMG]

Pistol Grip Spray Nozzle Set - Rapid Reel

You could also package the reel and pistol grip nozzle to save a few bucks and get a hose, fire-hose nozzle, quick connector, and shut-off valve package through Adam's.

So all in total cost excluding my mistakes was about $450, but I think it will be worth the investment. I hope this helps some others that might be looking as well.

2. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Thank you for posting this information. I've have been looking for a good pistol grip spray nozzle. That one looks legit!!

3. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

I own EVERYTHING you just bought!! Only difference, is I bought the Rapid Reel ground unit, instead of the wall mount. And I bought THEIR hose, simply because back then, we weren't selling hoses. But after about a year of use, I'm telling you bro......your life just got BETTER!!!! Be ready to fall in love......

4. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

really expensive. I hope they're quality.

5. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for the tip on the sprayer.

I also like to use a sprayer at times on tires. Most sprayers are junk whether they are made in USA or China. One decent drop and they start leaking. Lots of brass is usually a good sign.

The Dramm shut off (got mine from Amazon) and Adam's Fire Hose Nozzle are nice too.

6. vegas911gts

vegas911gts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It looks like adams uses DRAMM quick disconnects and shutoff valves. They are the best, but can be found a little cheaper at your local nursery and online gardening stores. I've had the regular goodyear garden hoses kink on me so I use those for the back yard and use neverkink hoses now with no issues of kinking.

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Damn you! There goes a bunch of my money. Nice thing about the blue hose is it's non marring. I use the same stuff with my pressure washer.

8. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

That pistol grip looks for real, Im tempted to buy it myself.

9. 911Fanatic

Just ordered it. I'll report in when I get it.

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I have the RapidReel cart and the Adam's nozzle and shut off . I simply love them. Pure quality and a pleasure to use.

11. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I look forward to a review. I prefer pistol grip over fire hose style, the last one I had I bought from Lowes a year ago and it's already crapped out.

12. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

thanks op for the post...not sure if you searched this forum or not but here is the thread i made back in June 2012.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/tools-accessories/34355-quality-hose-reel-wheels.html

Here are the 3 items rwiserjr is talking about...his thread here:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/tools-accessories/24487-new-addition.html

13. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

over two years later and i can report the rapid reel is everything i had hoped. rolling up that heavy hose is incredibly fast and easy to do. you will appreciate that part too. i agree with everyone that most nozzles are crap so i ordered the new pistol grip like ken and think it is the cherry on the sundae. built like a tank

14. 911Fanatic

Mine was shipped today! WOOT!!!

15. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Can someone post pics of the spray patterns from the nozzle?

16. 911Fanatic

Here you go Al. LINK Click on features, dimensions and specs and you can view all the spray patterns for both tips.

17. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I totally missed that when I was looking at the web site. Thanks. This will go on my list to get.

18. 911Fanatic

Got mine yesterday and have to say, WOW. Thing must weigh 2 lbs. I have used it for a couple days now and impressed by how much water it flows. Even on the spray settings, it will flood an entire hood with just a few passes. UPS raped me for $37 to clear customs but I don't care. The spray nozzle has 3 pattern widths and it ROTATES! The entire thing is solid brass with a thick rubber coating. Lend this to your bestest buddy? Not a chance in hell. I'll get some pics for you.

19. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

nice Kenadian!

20. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Now I want one lol