AF Tough Coat + Desire

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by agpatel, May 9, 2012.

1. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Got a chance to wash my GTI this last weekend and use some new stuff, always fun to try out some stuff and makes me feel less bad about having too many things. Did a simple wash and sealant/wax. Sorry for lack of pictures, will try and take a few once the rain has passed. Below two are from during the storm when I was leaving the airport, beading was great and once I started to dry off the water was just rolling off.

Impressions:

Touch Coat: CRACK product, such a easy application with a foam applicator and buffing off was easy as anything I have used. With the high solvent/petroleum content there was a bit of minor cleaning action for some light water spots from drying and few other bits. Paint was slick as could be after curing.

Desire: Applied a coat of Desire after about 24 hrs, I was warned from Martin to not let this wax sit for long as it would be hard to remove. Well you know me, and did not listen and let it sit on a panel for bit too long and was hard to remove, little spritz of chilled distilled water did the trick but for other panels I applied the wax and let it sit for maybe a minute before buffing off. Using a short nap MF was best. Finish was great, and not much of a change over the finish Tough Coat left but left little warmer finish but still slick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MartinD

MartinD DB Certified Manufacturer

Awesome when the weather clears up I'd like to see some full car shots Ankeet!

-Martin

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Will get some hopefully soon...love how easy TC is to work with..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

MKV for the win.

5. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I've heard lot's of good things about Tough Coat with ease of application at the top of the list.

6. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Hands down the easiest sealant to use aside from WOWA products like OptiSeal. When it hazes it looks like it might be a bitch to remove, but it couldn't be easier and there is absolutely zero dusting. I applied it to my own car this weekend, so we'll see about durability. And it's one of those products that gets much slicker 24 hours or so after application.

Sorry for the thread jack, Ankeet. The beading looks sweet. I'm hoping to try some Spirit soon! I'm all about easy application. :thumb:

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Bead shot looks great!!

Martin ... what's the durability on Tough Coat? I was debating on gettting it on the BOGO sale. My favorite spray sealant is AJT.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

bump for durability

9. MartinD

6 months. My F250 is going strong at 7 months still...

10. MartinD

Hey guys-

Here it is how to apply and remove tough coat, easy huh? Any questions ask me!

[video=youtube;Chnw6UdOQMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chnw6UdOQMg[/video]

-Martin D

11. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

Cool video! Question, could you spray a buffing pad with it, and use a DA to apply this as well?

12. MartinD

Try it and let me know Dave ;) I never have...

13. Dr Oldz

Dr Oldz Birth of a Detailer

Guess that's why you sold all your Nubas!!

Just ignore Dave, Martin. He puts tire dressings on with a DA. :D

14. 911Fanatic

Isn't that what 3" black pads are for?

15. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I use my DA to brush my teeth..have a custom 0.50" pad made and set it to #1 and off i go....works great...

16. 911Fanatic

Somehow, coming from you, that doesn't seem strange.

17. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Nice coat of wax helps also....you know i have plenty of that to go around haha

18. MartinD

I have always wondered that. You go to the dentist and they do a step and charge $$$. :)