Advice - LSP for new wheels...

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by bvhbmw, Feb 21, 2010.

1. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

Hi all,
    I'd appreciate your advice. I have a set of wheels that have just been powder coated. They have not yet been on the car. I'd like to apply an LSP to them prior to mounting so they remain easy to clean. I have the following products available to use at this time, and I was wondering which you think would be the best solution:

A. Swissvax Cleaner Fluid followed by Swissvax Autobahn wax.
    B. Optimum Opti-Seal
    C. Menzerna FMJ
    D. Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant

Or, is there another treatment or combination you'd suggest? Thanks!

2. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Out of those, Opti-seal or the Klasse twins will work very well on rims. The Klasse combo will have the longest durability out of the options listed, but in actuality you won't have any issues with any of those products.

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

The Duragloss 501/105 combo is great.

4. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I'd say FK1000P as (I havent used it) but have seen vids that show crazy durability and resistance to heat, also it makes washing them so much easier as all you need is a high pressure water to rinse them down, and maybe a lil soap, pretty much touchless.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

A. Swissvax looks really good, but I've heard it's not very durable...
    B. Opti-Seal is very easy to apply, but don't expect to last it longer then a month if it's a daily driver...which again shouldn't bother 'cause application is so easy...
    C. Menzerna should last longer then Opti-Seal, but nowhere near FK1000p or Collinite 476S.
    D. Klasse twins will outlast all listed on your list, but Klasse SG reaquires a little elbow grease to remove...

My other options would be DG # 601/105 combo, FK 1000p, Collinite 476s or 845...

6. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Do you find the 601 to be helpful?

7. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I use collinite 845

8. Denzil

Denzil Guest

There are a few things that I use for wheels:
    • Majestic Solutions Enviro-Shield
    • Optimum Opti-Seal
    • Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
    • Collinite 845/476s

It's really just a matter of trial and error and whatever works best for you. With the amount of heat-cool cycles, protection typically doesn't really last all that long on wheels.

9. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Car-Lack 68 life long sealant, topped with 1Z spray wax :D

10. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

I use Swissvax CF followed by Autobahn. Looks great, and is very durable(from what I have observed). I use it on every car.

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I never used 105 without it, so I would say yes...it cleans the surface removing any old wax/sealant leftovers, and helps with bonding.

12. richy

richy Guest

The 601 would be beneficial in a few ways. #1 it will give more durability to the 105, #2 it will allow you to layer it immediately if you so wish.

13. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Optiseal will be easiest to use and maintain for obvious reasons.

My vote is KAIO and KSG. Just apply KSG thin almost so you cant even see it and remove sooner than you think you should and it will be no work at all. Then your second layer you can wait more with.

FMJ was never ever good for me. Easy to use but every single time I have used it, and with good prep and clean surfaces, it never lasted.

14. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I.m really liking opti seal right now. But my go to on wheels has always been either poor boy's wheel sealant or dura gloss 105 topped with aqua wax.

15. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

ive used just about everything on wheels of all different finishes - here is my fav for each type of wheel ive sealed

SV cleaner + SV Autobahn - for simple silver painted wheels

Z-AIO + Z5-Pro layered + WheelWax - this combo worked really well on my old OEM M3 wheels which is a machined clear coat, also worked well on the Murcielago which has the roadster machined wheels on it

CG Vertua + Jet Seal layered/ Polylack NanoClean + NanoSeal - this is my go to combo for my JDM anodised clear coat polished aluminium dish forged wheels - i was using the Polylack twins on the Volk wheels on my Z, and now the CG combo on my Work wheels on my M3. I prefer to use a sealant as to not dull down the polished dish

I have just purchased CG WheelGuard and will be doing a full CG treatment on my Work wheels soon

I will condede i have noticed slightly less brake dust build using WheelWax and Autobahn over simply using FK1000 or 476s

16. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

Opti-seal or DG AquaWax is easy to apply-for winter
    collinite 845/476 or FK1000p for the summer

17. floraneg

floraneg Birth of a Detailer

Has anyone used SV Shield on the wheels. My wife has a Mercedes GL450 and the break dust drives me CRAZY!!!! You can wash them and an hour after driving they look like the need to be washed again. Nothing sems to work on them. Just got SV Shield, but haven't had a chance to use it. Anyone out there have any luck with it?

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Rejex is another good LSP for wheels, does not look great on paint but holds up well on wheels.

19. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

I decided to go with the SV pair on my wheels...this is a front 19" on my M5.

[​IMG]

20. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

My new favorite wheel sealant right now is Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine. Extraordinarily easy to apply and remove, leaves a great finish, and lasts for a very long time. I was skeptical about how much more brake dust it could resist over my previous wheel sealant (PB's) but it actually cut down on the amount of brake that adhered to the rim which was a pleasant surprise. Very good stuff, I highly recommend it.