Adverse or negative comments.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by togwt, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

We all get them. It doesn’t matter how well written an article or product review is, how much you’ve researched and hopefully gotten the facts down, there’s always someone out there just looking for a someone to attack. Much the same can be said of those who post in a Show and Shine click & brag type threads with its accusations of Photoshop ‘airbrushing’ or just using it to advertise their business as opposed to helping others with product selection and application methodologies

I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it. I am not sponsored, I do not receive any form of remuneration nor do I work for a car care vendor. My only agenda is the dissemination of accurate, unbiased information; to help both professional, enthusiast and neophyte detailers.

Adverse or negative comments. Why?

I’ve come to some conclusions.
    1. They have some form of hidden agenda for their negative comments or criticism
    2. Their ego gets the better of them as you seem to be a threat to their perceived expertise, or its just plain jealousy
    3. They can’t think of anything intelligent to say in response to your material so they have to rip you apart
    4. They have no tactful way of pointing out an error you’ve made. This is either due to limited vocabulary or intelligence.
    5. It’s easier to point out someone else’s faults than it is to look at and admit to your own.
    6. Pointing out mistakes and /or constructive criticism is valuable as both the writer and reader can learn from it
    7. Unfortunately, there are those who’d rather look for and point out a mistake than to take the context of the material and use it. We can’t stop or avoid those people, but we don’t have to acknowledge them either.
    8. Some people seem to have nothing better to do (the devil makes work for idle hands).

There are NO perfect writers in the world. I’ve seen mistakes by writers with a degree in journalism and/or majored in English. I’ve seen mistakes by writers who don’t have a degree but are still great writers. I have many writer friends / colleagues who hold degrees and even doctorates that have an exceptional grasp of English grammar and punctuation. They make mistakes as well. We miss things, we are human.

I personally find it quite inspirational to find a mistake by writers I consider better than I am a (and there are a multitude) writers who have more education and are experts in their field. Why? Because I know I don’t have to live up to some invisible standard that doesn’t really exist in the first place. It’s also refreshing to know that, yes, writers are human. We are not robots or pre-programmed computers.

We make mistakes. Sometimes we miss those mistakes. If you want to point them out, feel free to do so. This allows us to correct those errors and we truly appreciate it, especially if you do so out of kindness instead of meanness.Any thoughts and / or constructive comments are more than welcome. It’s always good to get feedback on what works or what doesn’t for future reference, and then we all learn.

Defending yourself in these matters can often be a tricky no-win situation. You don’t want to present yourself in bad light withyour readers. Stooping to someone else’s level rarely gets you anywhere, other than giving them credibility. . .

Allow me to repeat something extremely important: There are NO perfect writers in this world.

[Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are] John Wooden

2. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Jon, if you have made any mistakes I guess I just missed them. What I get from your postings are information for which I am extremely grateful. Admittedly I don't always say so and just hit the "Thanks" button, just lazy at times. When at times things are just not working right detailing wise I just relax and think about the problem and draw on the many postings that I have read to work my out of whatever the problem may be. I have never read any "agenda" into any of your postings, just information that I have yet to see by anyone else. You make me think. Thanks very much!

3. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

was sorry to see john wooden go. being a fellow hoosier originally i related to him. i also havent seen errors in your writings just lots of useful knowledge put out for anyone to use .

4. Jon this quote you have is one that I was using just a couple weeks ago. I have been paying tribute to John Wooden since the day he passed by using quotes he used during his lifetime (and changing them every few days) You wouldn't have happened to notice anyone else (that happens to be a post whore) using this quote recentally have you?

This seems to be the problem I see you run into on other forums. You will flat out steal someone elses idea without giving that person credit. I really don't get it as I know deep down you are a very wise man, but for the love of God man

I hope you will not be to offended by my response. I still think you could be a very valuable part of this community, but this type of behaivor should change or for me personally I will lose more respect for you. Show some originality and give props where props are deseved

Warmest wishes,

Baseball, Apple Pies & Chevrolets :giggle:

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If I understand you, you want me to give credit to someone other than the person who made the quote, or am I missing something here?

[Knowledge speaks; wisdom listens] Jimmy Hendrix

I've cited the originator, is there someone else I should give gredit to for this quotation?

6. Yes me. You know, the person you stole it from :eyebrow:

Actually I could care less. Your long drawn out post may attrack some, but being a profesional in this field for nearly 30 years I can see thru all the garbage you put out :dupe:

You have been banned from Autopia, Autogeek and recentally TruthInDetailing for stealing information or trying to sale that lame book you have. What it takes you 17 paragraphs to state, I can give a better response in 3 sentences. I suppose you think these ridicolously long threads you start make you look intelligent. Ppl get hoodwinked thinking you know what your talkinhg about, when in truth you don't have enough knowledge in this field to carry my wash bucket :looser:

You are a thief. All the profesionals know this. You have been had by Mike Phillips, Todd Helme, David Fermarni and myself just to name a few :claping:

Regards,

No more mister nice guy :bat:

7. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

wow what did i miss?? seems as there is a lot of talk about non detailing issues going on lately.

8. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The time is now 8:17PM EDT.

9. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Philbert, thank you so much for using a quote from John Wooden.

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Now I know where Jon got all his bad info from now.:p::poke:

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Actually I could care less. Your long drawn out post may attrack some, but being a profesional in this field for nearly 30 years I can see thru all the garbage you put out

You have been banned from Autopia, Autogeek and recentally TruthInDetailing for stealing information or trying to sale that lame book you have. What it takes you 17 paragraphs to state, I can give a better response in 3 sentences. I suppose you think these ridicolously long threads you start make you look intelligent. Ppl get hoodwinked thinking you know what your talkinhg about, when in truth you don't have enough knowledge in this field to carry my wash bucket

You are a thief. All the profesionals know this. You have been had by Mike Phillips, Todd Helme, David Fermarni and myself just to name a few

Regards,

No more mister nice guy

What is the point in this kind of post Wormley? To bash someone in an open forum like this is just unacceptable. If you have an issue with another member here, at least be mature enough to take it up in a PM. If you can't manage that, then don't say anything at all.

12. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Can't we all just get along and buy a Raceglaze mitt or two?

13. The point is I'm sick of Jon Millers crap. And from the large number of PM's I have received regarding this thread others are sick of his bullshit also. There is not 1 profesional detailer who will stand up for the crock of poop this guy constantly puts out. His ridicolously long threads are a joke thats not funny

My Father use to have a quote...."If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bullshit" I beleive Jon Miller must live by this standard.

If his info is so valuble, how come this is the only forum he is still a member of. Everyone else has figured this dude out long ago

Regards,

Someone who know what the hell there talking about

14. 911Fanatic

If your tired of John, that's fine; its your opinion but you're missing the point Wormley. If you, or anyone else for that matter, has an issue with someone on the forum, it is proper etiquette to deal with it via pm and not bash them in an open forum.

15. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

:chips::drinking2:

:shead::yikes:

Never saw this coming

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I was always hoping to see some pictures of detail work performed by Jon, do you have any pics of cars you done correction on?

17. With all due respect Ken. I beleive I have behaved myself well on this forum, but when I see someone posting garbage I feel it is my duty to call them out in public. If I didn't, I feel I would be doing this community a hugh injustice. What if someone comes along 6 months are a year or two from now and follows someones advice that is posted here only to in turn ruin/damage whatever project they may be working on?

18. 911Fanatic

I'm not sure what information Jon posted that was "garbage" as you put it ( maybe you could provide some examples), but when you see someone post something you disagree with all you have to say is "could you elaborate on how you did that because here is what I have found from my experience" You make your point in a mature manner and no ones nose is out of joint.

19. Bill Davidson

Bill Davidson Virgin Detailer

I just joined this forum less than 1 week ago. I find this thread a turn off. I hope the moderators don't allow this type of thing to go on. :thumbdown:

20. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Maybe he speaks the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.