Adding weight to polisher

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by onefastaudi, Dec 19, 2012.

1. onefastaudi

onefastaudi Virgin Detailer

Has anyone considered adding removable weights to the top of a polisher; so as it keep consistent, effortless weight on top of the area you're working on?

2. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Kind of like the weighted shifter (with manual transmissions)?

Try it out and let us know if it made it easier? I can see it being useful on horizontal surfaces, but on vertical, which is most of the car any way, it is only going to make it more difficult since gravity doesnt work like horizontally.

3. onefastaudi

onefastaudi Virgin Detailer

Yeah, this would help with hood, roof, and trunk lid.

4. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

I don't know how useful it would be, it's far easier to keep consistent pressure on horizontal surface rather than vertical, at least for me.

5. Kaban

Plus imagine how uncomfortable it would be controlling and holding the machine if you placed a wehgted object on the front portion of it that you usually hold on to with your pressure hand.

6. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I would feel much more comfortable with no weights than with, I like to know exactly how much pressure I'm placing on the paint. Especially when on a slight curve or approaching an edge or sharp angle. But that's just my personal preference.

7. Will

Will Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It probably wouldn't help at all with vertical surfaces and would just become extra weight and effort. As for horizontal, it could be useful but still I'd be worried having anything heavy sitting on top of my buffer. If buffers had a weight option to add weights to the actual unit itself, that could be cool.

8. Kaban

Or just an old rotary that weighed twenty pounds and use that on horizontal panels and put out the lightweight da or rotary for vertical?