Adding ONR to your wash

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by detaildoc, Mar 10, 2009.

1. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Do any of you add ONR to your regular shampoo washes to increase the lubricity? I tried it last weekend and it resulted in a significant decrease in suds, which I did not like and just made me a little nervous. What is your take on this?

2. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I read somewhere that ONR will do that to your wash if you do that, might have been over at Autopia....

Am I wrong not to count bubbles=more lubrication though? I never really thought of it that way :shrug:

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I know that some shampoos like 1Z Einszett Perls Shampoo don't produce much suds, but have good lubricity, so I wonder if adding ONR would in fact be a good thing even if it decreases the suds.

4. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

i have always found that the runnier the shampoo, the less suds, and the more lubricity..but that is just my findings and i have no proof to back that up...a lot of people use ONR as sort of a water softener..but i have noticed a slight increase in lubricity..i add 1 oz of ONR to 2 gallons then an ounce per gallon of DG901...usually have about 4 gallons in the end...makes a pretty good wash.

5. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

My understanding of ONR is that if its safe enough to mix with water and be relatively safe to wash the car with, I do not see why it can't be applied to washing a car traditionally as well. I would imagine that while ONR killed the suds, it added its own type of lubrication on top of the lubrication to the soap...

(IMO of course. Could be wrong :shrug:)

6. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

I do it a lot and yeah I do notice a decrease in suds also. I still do it though as like you said more slickness.

7. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

I add ONR to my rinse bucket, keeps all the dirt in there. But I'm starting to use ONR as my regular wash, love that stuff!

Hopefully my logic is right, lol.

8. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I love ONR washes as well and never had any issues with marring the paint and although I like lots of suds as well, I did like the extra slickness after mixing some ONR with the Ultima Paint Guard Wash. I just have to get used to less suds.

9. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Plus due to the properties of ONR that try to keep the dirt and water separate, by that i mean the dirt making its way to the bottom of the bucket..this sounds beneficial for safer washing...thoughts? Good thread detaildoc

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Good point! :thumb:

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I add ONR sometimes to washes. It cuts the suds down, but adds lubricity. Now that I have Shampoo Plus I will try it without ONR.

12. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

More lubricity is definitely a good thing. Lubricity helps to prevent any dust or dirt particles from marring or scratching the paint.

13. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

The main reason why I do it is to condition the hard water we have. It works out very well and adds some lubrication as well.:thumb:

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Something else to try today. Well, maybe tomorrow. Its -8 again here this morning. Good grief!

15. dublifecrisis

dublifecrisis Any Rag Vehicle Washer

yup I add a cap to both of my buckets actually. I have hard water for one and if ONR does truly encapsulate dirt and help get it down under my grit gaurd a little better then it's worth it IMO.

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Foam or Suds
    Back when laundry was done with soap flakes, suds level was an indicator of cleaning performance. So, many people today think that a good rich level of suds is necessary for clean laundry. However, this is no longer true. Today's detergents are formulated to have any suds level desired without affecting cleaning performance. "They make the removal of dirt easier by reducing the surface tension between the water and the paint surface.
    In reality suds (a chemical foaming agent or coconut oil) do absolutely nothing to clean, they are simply a structure that a portion of the solution had taken due to being mixed with air.

The amount of foaming produced has nothing to do with its cleaning efficiency, although it does provide a means of encapsulation as well as acting a cushion between the paint surfaces and cleaning tool (although a surfactant is much better at this) They are there simply because we are so engrained with the idea that soap suds do the cleaning that it is impossible to use anything else. In most all detergents the suds are made by a foaming agent, not by the cleaning agents in the detergent. In fact, industrial cleaners usually have no foaming agents and specialized users do not want suds. Think of a hand degreaser, there are no suds yet it sure does the job

See also "Basic Soap and Detergent Chemistry" in the detailing school section

17. dublifecrisis

dublifecrisis Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Yup-Thanks for the reminder Jon. The 1Z perlz is a great example as someone already mentioned. I'm just as guilty too that i was NOT impressed with 1Z the first time I used it. Why? Where are my bubbles?!?!? LOL

18. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Great info! Thanks! That being the case, does that mean that using a foam gun or a foam cannon does not really help?

19. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

CL68 shampoo doesnt make a lot of suds either, but is very slick and rinses very clean. might have to try mixing it with ONR sometime.

20. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

It would depend upon what foam/soap is used. IMO the foasm gun with the correct surfactant is far better than a 'cannon' but each to their own