? About sea sponges

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by TONY MONTANA, Mar 20, 2010.

1. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

for those of you that have sea sponges i have a question do these things last a long time? if so how long do they usually last before they have to be replaced? ive read alot of good things about sea sponges but i dont wont to give in and buy one if its going to fall apart pretty quickly thanks

2. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I have had mine for over a year. I use it for maintenance washes and take good care of it. I have a backup waiting if the sponge gets FUBAR'd

3. infiniti24

infiniti24 Birth of a Detailer

whats so great about them?

4. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

So, So Soft. I like having something to grab.

5. infiniti24

infiniti24 Birth of a Detailer

so are they better at holding dirt and not micro marring?

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Sponges

There are two very different types (a) natural sea sponge (b) synthetic foam, of which there are two types:

1. Closed cell and 2. Open cell. Closed cell foam is very inefficient at holding water so that leaves open cell foam and the natural sea sponge, which is naturally open celled, as the two main sponges for vehicle washing. Synthetic sponges are commonly made from cellulose wood fibres, or foamed plastic polymers. The reason why flat synthetic sponges are not suitable for your paint surface is that they can trap granules of dirt between its surface and the paint and contribute to the formation of micro scratches when trapped dirt is dragged repeatedly across your paint’s surface.

1. Flat Synthetic Sponges - flat synthetic sponges, chamois leather or washcloth's will cause ‘surface tension’ between the flat surfaces of the washing media and the paint surface, thereby removing a percentage of the protective wax or sealant. It can also trap dirt, grit or road debris between the material and the paint film surface causing scratches. Wash brushes, sheepskin mitts or waffle weave towels because of their construction cannot trap anything and are much easier to rinse then a synthetic flat sponge.
    The reason I advice against the use of natural or synthetic chamois or flat surface synthetic closed-cell sponges is that grit or dirt can become trapped between its flat surface and the paint causing scratches.

2. Natural Sea Sponge - natural sea sponges release soap and grit far easier and although they feel like dried out cake when dry they get ultra soft when they come in contact with water. They hold a vast amount of water and soap; they are my preferred wash media for delicate paint. Thoroughly flush with clean water (especially before first use) or a Proline Sponge

7. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

Natural sea sponge is the way to go! Very durable and hold tons or water/suds, not to mention very soft. I have had mine awhile and no issues with it. I even through it in the washing machine with some microrestore detergent for some extra cleaning. There is some prep work involved when you first get one to make sure there are no sea shell particles left behind. I was able to source a very large 11-12" sponge that I use exclusively after trying nearly every wash mitt available.

Look for prime sea wool sponges or rock island sea wool sponges. These are generally the best!

8. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

You couldn't pay me enough to use a sea sponge. I don't care how many times you rinse it, it came from the sea bottom and at one point had plenty of sand in it.

I know people that have washed their sea sponge several times (prior to use) and always end up with sand grains in their sink/bucket/bowl.

9. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

i was thinking about getting one as well .Where can i buy a good one ? Someone told me that they have them at bed bath and beond but i dont know if id trust it from there .

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I'm with you on this one. I only used one once and it still managed to marr the heck out of my car even after I rinsed it several times. All you need is one little piece of anything in there.