a review of brake dust on rims after AG cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by kyoshiro, Oct 13, 2010.

1. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

*pictures after I finish fixing my server
    So as you all know, German cars have a fetish for brake dust and the bigger your rims are, the more obvious its gonna be.

I began to wash my first rim with Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner, it leaves polymers on the rim that protects it from brake dust (although I actually have a lot of the AG tire shine on the rim as well) and the other rims, I decided to use Turtle Wax ICE off the shelf and see how it fares.

So after 2 days of driving, the AG cleaned rim has significantly less brake dust than the other one (taking the front rims as test beds as those get most brake dust)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we here clearly see that the Non AG cleaned rim is dirty

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is the AG Cleaned rim, i bet the polymers are doing something!

I went ahead and tried to spray the rims with ONR mix and amazingly enough, the AG cleaned rim brake dust just melted off whilst the other rims required agitation.

Now I have one wheel with Poorboy Wheel Sealant and will see how it fairs vs the AG cleaned rim.

I prob should order some Blackfire all metal sealent and try that out too =p

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

blackfire is awesome stuff, u need it, put it on the next order

3. Jokeman

Jokeman Two Bucket System Washer

Those wheels are clearcoated. The All Metal Sealant is more for bare aluminum I thought. I would just use the Blackfire Wet Diamond on them.:thumb:

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I gave my father's X5 a proper washing a few weeks back. We take it on a little cruise, perhaps at most 45 minutes of driving. Come home, wheels are dirty again. Unreal.

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Darn Germans can make some great cars but man do they love break dust....then again its all down to using the correct pads for the car and they seem to create lots of dust...

I have given up on keeping my GTI wheels clean and just use FK1000P on them to help wash as much as i can away.

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That's why you just need large five spokers on German cars. Easy to keep clean!

7. kyoshiro

these 20" are easier to clean than my mazda's many spoke 16"s at least lol

oh and Poorboy's wheel sealant smells really strawberryish lol

8. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

That's odd, I have the factory brake pads on my GTI and I have no issues with brake dust whatsoever. Even when it didn't get washed for a couple months last winter, there wasn't a significant amount of brake dust. But in one day of driving, my dad's 1 series generates more brake dust than my GTI does in two months.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The AMS will last way longer than the AFPP and it leaves the wheels looking wetter. :)

10. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Nice review. I have noticed that while AG CWC's polymers that are left behind don't provide any visible water beading protection, the wheels are super easy to clean the next time around.

11. kyoshiro

after another 2~ days, the AG CWC polymers kind of disappeared, the PB Wheel Sealant is still working fine

PB Wheel Sealant:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Spray of 2 capful + 2 gallon ONR solution in bottle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AG CWC:
    [​IMG]

After Spray of 2 capful + 2 gallon ONR solution in bottle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. flatstick

flatstick Birth of a Detailer

Just a question to the OP. have you tired to seal those wheels with a paint sealant ? I have used the following combo with great success JW prime strong followed with 2 coats of JW AJ or AJT . this combo made the wheels glow and left them easy to clean. the durability was shocking . you could also try some collonite 476 or 845.

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I use a coat or two of OPT optiseal under 2 or 3 coats of PB wheel sealant with great results. I've been thinking about using 845, but I keep forgetting.

14. kyoshiro

this time around i am gonna put more layers on the wheels, I've already applied 1 layer of PB Wheel Sealant last night
    i might put on some bilt hamber auto balm on or just blackfire all metal sealent (my autobahn will be for later =p)
    i still have yet to buy any collonite lol

15. flatstick

No Collinite boooooooooooooo.... just kidding , I know it takes time to try all of the stuff out there. my position is that you can use any wax or sealant with decent durability on the wheels to keep them looking good and protected. like one of the other posters suggested, optiseal or UPGP would be another great idea as they are super easy to apply layers and no buffing off. the reason I mentioned collinite is they are inexpensive and a little goes a long way. the fact that collinite is durable is icing on the cake. your wheels look fairly easy to work on so washing, claying and sealing should not be too hard, when you have to do it.

16. kyoshiro

maybe i'll do a few layers of powerlock or use my AG HD i got quite a lot of product to play with. I will do some "review"on my combination once i figure it out =p

17. flatstick

Sounds like a plan. nice to know you have many options. also nice to use products for many areas on your ride. so many lsp's ( insert sigh here ) so little time LOL!

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

exactly! And 5-spoke looks better then ANY BBS wheels too!

19. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

:thumb:Blackfire Metal Sealant for wheels is the bomb.

20. kyoshiro

and so lil cars!