A Comparison of DG Convertible Fabric Restorer to CQ Leather & Fabric Protector

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by richy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. richy

richy Guest

I have been using the CQuartz treatment with varying results on leather and
    wanted to try it on some fabric. When I was talking to Jerry at Duragloss,
    he advised that they have a waterproofing product marketed for convertible
    tops that they have been selling for at least 15 years. The marine
    industry is also a heavy user of the DG 341.

The Comparison Test:

These 2 giants are going head to head on an 8 foot outside table umbrella we have.

Application:

The CQuartz was applied according to manufacturer instructions including
    being cured with a heat gun. It had over a week to dry and cure completely
    while inside.

The DG product was not applied according to manufacturer instructions. It
    is meant to be put on with a sponge. It does not come with a spray head on
    the bottle, but rather a squueze bottle. I was not aware of the application method when I received it and put it into a spray bottle. The bottle did not have a fine enough mist and I used more than I should have. This product should not be inhaled, therefore a sponge is the preferred method of application. Once applied, it is recommended for the surface to dry in the sun. This product likes heat. I did not use a heat gun to apply it, but if one chooses to, then it should only be done once the surface is dry to the touch. Even though DG 341 is marketed as a convertible top sealant, it can seal many surfaces including porous surfaces such as cement or brick. I have not tested it on these surfaces but received reliable information that makes me believe it will seal damn near anything. Frankly, I don't know how this product escaped my view for so many years. You will see in the videos how it performed. I was told that it was not recommended for leather. I will be trying it on leather to see how it does anyway...it's got me curious!

Please check out this video comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYNmEP7UYoE

Cost comparison:

CQuartz Fabric & Leather:

250 ml= 8 oz bottle=$49.99
    = $6.24/ounce

DG 341

250 ml= 8 oz bottle=$13.39
    = $1.67/ounce

The DG is clearly the cost winner. This product is one of the best kept secrets for detailers IMO. It's been on the market for over 15 years and yet I've never heard anyone mention it on any forum. This blows 303 FG out of the water. The only downside I see is the small sized bottle. I wish it was available in a bigger size. Perhaps if enough people ask, they can do that.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I actually vastly overestimated the amount of DG 341 I used in the video. I had not yet dumped the remaining product into the spray bottle and I thought I had only a bit left. Turns out I had 24 oz remaining from the quart, therefore I used only 8 oz to coat that whole area. I thought it seemed like more that what I had used when I said it; I should have measured it first before opening my yap.

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Very nice Richy thanks :)

3. richy

richy Guest

You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

4. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Nice comparison. Who even sells duragloss in the USA?

5. richy

richy Guest

The cool thing about Duragloss, if you get it from them directly, any order you make is subject to a flat shipping fee of $5. duragloss.com

6. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Richie,

I have used Mr. Ragtop protectant in the past. By any chance can you tell me if you have any experince with the Mr Ragtop and if you do can you compare the durability for me. After seeing your video I would definitly buy it expecially if you tell me it surpasses the Mr Ragtop. Thanks,

Jeff

7. richy

richy Guest

Jeff, to be honest, the only waterproofing products I have tried is 303 FG and the CQ F & L. I can't comment on the Mr. Ragtop as I've never tried it. I'll tell you this however: you know how effective the rest of the DG lineup is. This is one of their long-standing success stories for good reason.

8. Swanicyouth

Swanicyouth Two Bucket System Washer

I use 303 exclusively and have been pretty happy with it. After seeing this video though, I want to try the DG stuff

I've always had a suspicion DG makes the fabric protector marketed under BMWs car care line because the application method is similar.

View attachment 6258

View attachment 6259

When you sponge on the DG stuff, do you use it strait or mix it with water?

9. richy

richy Guest

Put it on straight.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk