A/C smell...

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by adriankeith, Mar 27, 2008.

1. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

I had asked Whip Appeal Neil about a problem my gf is having with her A/C (1998 BMW 328i). After running the A/C for a bit it starts to stink. I also noticed this in my friend's car (2006 Toyota Camry). He suggested I get an aerosol and use that but do I just spray that directly into the vents. Just wanted to make sure there aren't any other things I should be doing.

Thanks in advance!:gidiup:

2. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

you might want to switch out the cabin filtration filter, if it has one.

Also, 1z has a product you shoot into the vents. I have it, havent used it though

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

There is a product called Friggie Fresh made by BG you can get at any dealership. It smells like oranges and kills the bacteria that causes the smell. Also if the vehicle has a micro-filter that should also be changed atleast once a year to help with the problem.

4. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Once you get the smell out you need to get her into the habit of turning the AC off about 10-15 min before turning the car off. Doing this will help dry the evaporator so that the water off of it dosent collect and turn moldy. That awefull smell is the bacteria growing in her car.

5. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

Awesome. Thanks for the responses.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

For odour from the air conditioning unit (1Z Klima-Cleaner – http//:www. DriveWerks.com - Everything you've always wanted for your car, garage and lifestyle...) is an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Spray into the interior A/C vents and allow product to work for 30 minutes. It creates a healthier and fresh smelling environment for the interior of your car, change cabin air filter

Tip- turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two before turning off the ignition to help dry the condenser and surrounding area. Also check the cabin air filter, change as necessary

A/C Evaporator Core Treatment-
    Is the odour from your vehicles a/c system emitting a fouls smelling odour? This evaporator treatment is designed to deodorize / sanitize your auto a/c system; unit is fitted with a multi directional spray novel that will guarantee complete coverage of the evaporator core. Vacula 858187 - DeoWashâ„¢ A/C Evaporator Core Cleaner

Charcoal Cabin Air Filters - Pollen and harmful substances inside a vehicle can be up to six times more concentrated than outside. Bosch Premium Cabin Filters prevent harmful spores and pollen from entering the vehicle interior and keep passengers and downstream HVAC components protected. Bosch Premium Cabin Filters - Bosch Premium Cabin Air Filters