A BMW Spaceship

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Rcrew, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

In to the shop recently was BMW's spaceship, the 750Li. Car was in bad need of an interior clean and the owner was especially concerned with the hood which had been subjected to a repaint, some poor wash technique and a rooster scratch (yes you did read that last part correctly). So the hood received a massive correction and the rest of the body panels were hit with a single pass of Menzerna Super Finish to clean things up. Car was topped with Menzerna Power Lock.

I still have nightmares about cleaning the multi-spoke wheels.:yikes:

The car as it stood to start
    [​IMG]
    Paint a bit dirty and dull
    [​IMG]
    ...and gasp, look at the build up in these wheels! The multi-spoke design of these wheels really led to a headache in cleaning these up.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing else to do but douse them in Sonax Full Effect and see what bleeds away...which as you can see was quite a bit
    [​IMG]
    Results after 1 hit with Sonax and agitation with EZ Detail Brush. Still some work to do, especially on the barrels.
    [​IMG]
    After another round with Sonax, not perfect but some of this grime was really baked on and I didn't have anything more aggressive than Sonax. A bit of Tarminator was used on the barrels too. After 2 hours on the wheels and arches I was happy with my efforts and moved on to the wash
    [​IMG]
    Some of the defects on the hood- trust me with the eyeball lens they were much worse.
    [​IMG]
    Getting into the weeds a bit on this car...all shuts and grill areas were scrubbed down with a brush
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Car was then foamed w CG Citrus Wash and then hit again with CW and the 2-bucket method. Here you can see a small portion of the hood defects. The majority of them really could not be caught with the camera (I'm guessing it was operator error)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is an extremely deep scratch on the hood. It was caused by a rooster who decided to get a better view of things by getting onto the hood. Like me, this client is out in the rural area a bit and has some animals on his property. I don't believe the rooster is around anymore, hear he joined some teriyaki sauce and pineapple in between a bun. Anyway, this scratch was certainly too deep for convential methods so I broke out the 1500 grit and went to work.
    [​IMG]
    After working a bit with 1500 and then 3000.
    [​IMG]
    This is after a hit with Menz PG and a wool pad
    [​IMG]
    Brought it back with SIP and a green light cut pad
    [​IMG]
    As mentioned, the rest of the hood was full of deep RDSs and other defects that would have taken some time to pull with wool/foam correction. After seeing how quickly the rooster scratch cleaned up with wetsanding, I opted to work the rest of the hood over in this way on a gen 1 PC with 1500 and 3000 3M discs. In this shot you can see the majority of the hood is still sanded down with the uppermost portion refined back out. It really cleaned up nicely.
    [​IMG]
    Some finished shots of the hood. This is after wetsanding, compounding and then a refinement of Super Finish on a blue Uber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rest of the car was given a quick polish with Super Finish as the hood was where the owner was most concerned. here is a before/after of correction on the B pillars
    [​IMG]
    After, water spots and haze removed with Super Finish.
    [​IMG]
    Did find a bit of overspray on the roof that needed more than SF.
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    And a nasty scratch cluster on the roof that I couldn't resist spending a bit more time on.
    [​IMG]
    After, apologies that the camera didn't focus very well on the newly refined paint
    [​IMG]
    After shots to come on the exterior, for now its on to the interior. By the way, this car is a daily driver that shuttles two kids so the inside definitely needed some work. Gum and gunk in the center console area.
    [​IMG]
    And down in the driver seat bolster.
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned up as well as showing the effect of Zaino Leather Cleaner on the left lower half of the leather. Lots of dirt in this leather!!
    [​IMG]
    Some of the dirt pulled out of the leather
    [​IMG]
    50/50 of the center armrest area.
    [​IMG]
    And some dried on crayons for good measure.
    [​IMG]
    Worked out with steam, scrubbing and CG Stain Extractor.
    [​IMG]
    Smudges on the rear monitor, cleaned up with CG Clear Seal QD (this stuff is great if you haven't tried it yet)
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Dashboard area cleaned with APC, vacuumed and then sealed with CG Wet Mirror.
    [​IMG]
    Bubble gum and other grime removed with APC and steam.
    [​IMG]
    Floormat before/after shots. These were worked over with CG Stain Extractor, elbow grease, a scrub brush, and Bissell Stain Extractor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Onto the finished exterior shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (before shot of grill. It was hit with a soapy solution and Swissvax brush)
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Awesome awesome work. These cars are so gorgeous, classy color too!

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks! The paint color can really stand out if it is cleaned up well.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

great work!!

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

really nice work on the bimmer. the hood came out great as well!

6. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

fantastic job

7. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Excellent Work , write-up and review !

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Well done ...

9. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

great stuff I have a client with a black one with Asante 20inch wheels

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Great save on a very beautiful car. That thing has a lot of real estate to cover.

11. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Nice, hope they don't have as many spokes as the OEMs do...

12. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

was that rooster related to yours? the bimmer shows that not all 4 dr german sedans are treated like garage queens. kids would drop gummi bears on a veyron too. sweet job and the results are top line. any artic chill tips from pdx? happy thanksgiving guy.

13. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Very nicely done, i take it the owner was more than surprised at the results. Some questions if i may, what did you use for a cleaner around emblems,the grill, and rear trunk lip area? Also, what steamer did you use on the interior floor carpet? Getting crayon out which is embedded into the carpet like that is incredible. Thanks for sharing your results.

14. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

The only way that rooster was related to mine was the way it ended up on a dinner plate!
    If you come across a veyron that has been abused by kids, let me know, I would be happy to help!:applause2:
    Weather like this only happens in OR...perfect temps for snow, forecast calling for precip, and then nothing comes down from the sky. :crasy:

Have a great T-day!

15. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks.
    I like to have a mix of an ounce or two each of CG Citrus Wash and Bug Bugger with DI water in that spray bottle. It works well on door jambs, around emblems, grills etc..
    The steamer is just a Wagner model that I got at Costco. It is not super powerful but if you are persistent, use some elbow grease and a good cleaner/extractor it will yield good results. Including crayon.:thumb:

16. hwilsdorf

hwilsdorf Virgin Detailer

magnificent detail!

17. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work, that was one big job to tackle. Customer had to have been thrilled.

-Kody-

18. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Nice work!

19. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Great work inside and out.

20. svpro

svpro Birth of a Detailer

The Wheels reminded me for those BBS wheels that BMW have in their past models....

PITA!