A better water blade?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dsms, Nov 26, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I have the california water blade and it works nice but I only use it on silver or gold ceramiclear paints for fear of scratching or marring the finish. I saw a while back a new kind of water blade that had a soft material as the "blade" part instead of a T shaped flexible plastic. Anyone know what im talking about or have any suggestions for a safer water blade?

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Water blades are a creation of satan... do not use them on any paint

3. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

:devil::lol2::lol2:

4. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

What about dark colored paints? If you wouldnt use it on dark colors, then dont use it on light colors either. That makes no sense. :poke:

Im with Deep Gloss, I wouldnt use any blade on any paint.

5. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

O-Kay, No water blades...:worship2:

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

So are you saying that light colored cars do not scratch? All colors scratch its just a little harder to see on light colored cars. So in the end do not use a blade to clear water off of a vehicle.

7. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Go ahead and get yourself a waffle weave drying towel. Your car will thank you.

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Excellent advice.

9. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I just bought some on BOGO Free a little while back and haven't had a chance to try them yet. They look nice...:thumb:

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

that's right. And so is Rockstar energy drink, it tastes so nasty. It tastes like overcarbonated Redbull (remember, too much carbonation causes cancer), and a dude who didn't brush his teeth scrubbed off the residue off them, added to that drink and spit there... Totally :gross::gross::gross:

11. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I should have clarified a little better, I use water blades on family cars and large SUV's mostly. Even at that usually only on a silver or gold car, no not because there impossible to scratch but because you cant really see the marring as much, if any compared to a dark finish. I use it in conjunction with Megs. last touch QD when drying to keep the finish slick. So far on about 5 or 6 silver cars Ive used it on I got no scratching.

12. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

How does carbonation cause cancer? Throat,stomach where? Just wondering. I drink alot of diet Pepsi max um good stuff:headbang:

13. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

yea the water blade i bought from griots is one of the closed cell foam ones... biggest piece of S**T I have ever gotten from them, it was the only product i wasnt satisfied with. I had once of the california ones, i used it on my camaro back in the day before i knew anything about washing cars (drive through carwash? hell yea!) and thats probably why my camaros paint looked like crap in the sun. use a nice solid stream of water from your hose (no nozzle) flow over your car from the top down and carry away ost of the water, then blow it off with a leaf blower, then blot it with a towel... works great for me and i have very few swirls!

14. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I always sheet water off the car before drying, now I use the CRspotless to the final rinse so whatever I miss will magically dissapear later.

15. richy

richy Guest

I love the water blade; I use it every time I clean my shower! That's its only use for me.

16. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

:lol2:

17. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Why use it at all? You have said that you don't use it on darks.

Are you sure that you get no scratching, or is it that
    You can do what you want, but I think it's pretty unanimous that no one here recommends them.

18. arduous1

arduous1 Virgin Detailer

glass in not painted, are you guys okay with their use on glass?

ard

19. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I dont know, I find it pretty easy to see scratches and marring on silver colors too. You just need to learn how to look at the paint correctly.

Glass is fine.

20. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I knew I shouldnt have posted this thread, but if you notice I did state I was looking for a better water blade, as in something even less agressive than the california one we are all familiar with. I take my own and other peoples car care very seriously, I would never use something that would cause unfixable damage to a paint finish. Yes I have used the water blade on several ocasions, mainly when washing large SUV's because they are more difficult to dry. I have never used it on black or cars with soft clears. I'd like to think I know how to properly inspect a paint finish other than black as I have fully corrected many silver, white and gold cars... i do my best to prove the correction work I do in my write ups, all of which contain 50/50 halogen shots and direct sun shots of the paint after correction. An instance where I used the blade was this...after washing a 2007 silver range rover (w/ a very hard ceramic clear) I sheeted the water off best I could with a hose then sprayed megs last touch on the hood and used the blade to wisk away the remaining water, the LT acted as a lubricant to keep the blade moving smoothly. After use I inspected the range rovers finish in sun and found no "scratches" to speak of, just regular circular swirls...something a water blade cannot induce btw Now even if the blade did induce slight straight line marring it would have easily been taken out with the paint correction process I used later on (106ff at 1500rpm+ UF at 1800rpm) I hope you understand where I am coming from, I do not advocate the use of a water blade because it can potentially cause damage but if you use it cautiously and in conjunction with a slick lubricant its not very hazerdous to a piant finish, and if your following up with paint correction anyway your better off. I do not use the california blade anymore because of my recent purchase of the DIC-20 CRspotless, so drying a car is not a big hassel for me anymore.