911Fanatic vs Hammered Tesla

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by 911Fanatic, Feb 25, 2014.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

We got a call from our friends at Tesla to come and correct a new Tesla Model S. Seems it had sustained a bit of pre delivery damage and after getting it back from the body shop, it was in less than stellar condition. In the end it would take Terence from Glossworks and I 20 hours for the correction part of this job alone.

The car had been washed for us upon arrival so the car was wiped down with Ultima Waterless Wash to remove the dust and we got straight into polishing.

Wiped down with Ultima Waterless Wash
    Polished with Rupes 21 and 15. Terence's Makita and a wool pad even made a brief appearance.
    Polishes used were Megs 101, Menzerna FG400 and HD Polish.

Pre Opti Coat wipedown was with Carpro Eraser.

In the end it was close to 26 hours total to finish this car which had leads than 1000kms on it!

The car was riddled with damage like this, courtesy of an uneducated wash kid at he body shop and apparently a blind man handling the polishing duties.
    [​IMG]

DA sanding marks like this were all over the car, even the panels that weren't painted had them.
    [​IMG]

The panels that weren't marred from sanding marks were scratched beyond belief from the complimentary wash. Even the metal Tesla emblems were scratched. I'm really interested to find out exactly what they used to wash this car.
    [​IMG]

Wow.
    [​IMG]

This pic was AFTER the first attempt with my Rupes, Megs MF cutting disc and Megs 101.
    [​IMG]

After two days of polishing, the car was rewashed, blown dry and coated in Opti Coat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

Very nice turn around. What did you use to correct the metal emblems?

Limny

3. 911Fanatic

They were replaced with new ones. Problem solved. :)

4. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

Looks great Ken!

5. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

6. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great work Ken! That thing was hammered!

7. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

Very nice turnaround on a sharp looking car (now). Glad those emblems got replaced, what a shame

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Wow, that's after M101 and a microfiber cutting disc?

What did you have to use to remove those scratches?

9. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Did they change the paint? The one I did the paint was very soft and I used m205 and Meg's MF finishing pad. Mine wasn't that bad ether.

10. 911Fanatic

Took a couple more passes of 101 and the Megs disc to remove it all.
    Black ones have always been softer than the other colours but over the last 6-8 months it has gotten quite a bit better.

Pureshine likes this.
  11. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

that was in bad shape for a new car. Great job Ken! Nice to see your write-ups again.

12. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Great finish results!! But wait, Opti Coat can't look this wet, can it?

13. 911Fanatic

After 20 hours of polishing, even Turtle Wax could look this good! LOL

Pureshine likes this.
  14. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

Sweet turn around on a Hugely challenging paint to work with. The owner will have to be beyond careful to when washing or drying!

Cheers,
    GREg

15. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Stellar work Ken!

16. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Great work Ken. Looks like they washed it with a brillo or scotch brite pad. Love the look of those Tesla's. Really sexy.

17. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Quite the turnaround Ken!