911fanatic vs BMW with DISO

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by 911Fanatic, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I had just detailed this 3 series for a client a few months ago when it was taken to the dealer for service. After requesting that the car NOT be washed, well, here we are. After attempting to get the clients on day 1 and having to abort due to unbelievable traffic, another attempt was made the following day only to be thwarted by a building manager who had turned the water off in the clients wash bay and refused to turn it back on. If you're keeping track, that's two full days scheduled and zero accomplished. On the way back to my shop I picked up two Gamma Seal lids. These form an airtight seal on your pail allowing you to transport liquids without leaking. The third attempt was made the following day with not one, but two pails full of warm water with two different rinseless washes to try. Did I mention that each trip was around an hour each way? DOH!

Presoaked and washed with Optimum No Rinse ( drivers side ) and Duragloss Rinseless Wash ( passenger side )
    Wheels were cleaned using various brushes and the corresponding rinseless wash
    Polishing was done with Menz Power Finish on a Green Buff & Shine via Griots Garage DA
    Paintwork cleaned with Autoglym Super Resin Polish
    LSP was Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
    Jambs all wiped down with Optimum Car Wax
    Tires Dressed with Auto Finesse Gloss Tire Dressing

Upon arrival
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bluish product is Optimum No Rinse, pink is Duragloss Rinseless Wash
    [​IMG]

After doing the drivers side with ONR, passenger side was done with Duragloss. Here, GD is presoaking on the hood..
    [​IMG]

and on the side. The car wasn't filthy, but I still gave the presaok a few minutes to loosen the grit before wiping down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels were presoaked as well and then wiped down.
    [​IMG]

Wheels came up clean although the fronts were sprayed with a bit of APC as well to help loosen brake dust.
    [​IMG]

I used an old mf wrapped around a wheel brush to get the barrels clean. Worked like a charm.
    [​IMG]

DISO! ( Dealer installed swirl option. )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paintwork thickness reading were healthy so no worries about polishing.
    [​IMG]

New 1700lumen LED lights from Home Depot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before....
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

Trunklid before.....
    [​IMG]

and after.
    [​IMG]

Autoglym Super Resin Polish hazing.
    [​IMG]

After removing the SRP, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection was applied and allowed to haze as well.
    [​IMG]

Afters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As this was the first time I had used either rinse less product, I wasn't sure what to expect. Both products worked well although I did find the Optimum product to be a bit slicker. Amazing products though. After doing the drivers side, hood, roof, trunk lid and then working my way down the drivers side ( top portion of panels first and then bottom ) the same mitt was used on the DG side of the hood and no marring was evident. Amazing products for sure.

As always, thanks for looking.

2. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

Nice job. Those lights look slick. Any more info on them?

3. 911Fanatic

They are 1700 lumens each and cost $80. My mistake, I got them at Home Depot.

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Nice work, Ken! Dealer installs swirls so he can sell customers their "detailing" - coat of glaze service.

5. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

Good job Ken, at first I thought those are the cookie monster towel, but is it the eurow towel?

The hardest part about rinseless wash is cleaning the wheels and the wheel well.

$80 seems fair for those portable worklight, How many watts does 1 light use?

6. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

7. 911Fanatic

Towels were actually from Werkstat. Unfortunately they are no longer available. Similar to Eurows but with a stitched edge. The lights are LED so usage is minimal. I can have those two lights and run my polisher on a single 15A circuit. Lights may draw a couple amps, but thats it.

Thanks!

8. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

nice work as always! liking those lights... can they adjust to an angle or they just face forward?

9. 911Fanatic

Unfortunately they can only face forward as the face of the light is wider than the bracket. I am going to make a new bracket so they will be able to tilt down.

10. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Secret's out.............................I have them as well Ken, they have a small one too which is perfect for setting on the ground to illuminate the lower rocker areas.

11. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great work! How did that take you to finish the car?

12. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Good to know on those. I have been using one of these along with one of the 250 watt bulbs in the worklamps and it has been really good seeing the defects.

15-Watt (90W) Daylight (5000K) PAR30 LED Flood Light Bulb (E)*-ECS 30 CW FL 120 at The Home Depot

13. 911Fanatic

Was about 10 hours in total.

14. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

That's way I thought tanks ken.

15. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Great work and def picking up some of these lamps from HD

16. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job again Ken..

I will have to get those as halogen heat up my garage way to much....hoping the LED ones will help out with this.

17. 911Fanatic

I had one on for about 5 hours today and could put my hand on the glass when I was done. :)

18. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

Ken, do you carry the gamma lid and metro air force?
    how much would they cost with hst?

19. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Great work there Ken.

-Kody-

20. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Great job Ken! The lights look like a good value.