89 Porsche Carrera

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Stephen D. Frank, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Stephen D. Frank

Stephen D. Frank Virgin Detailer

We are currently detailing an 89 Porsche Carrera for one of our clients. We are polishing it to a show car finish after wet sanding to 4000 grit. Its turning out great, but I have one problem. One of my guys was working on it and scuffed the rubber trim. It should have been taped, but he was being careless. This car is all original, and my customer very particular. He hasnt seen it yet, nor does he even know about it. Any suggestions on how to fix it? can it be sanded smooth? I would appreciate all help!

I'll try to post some pics sometime today.

2. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Pics would help a lot. Is the trim smooth or textured?

3. Stephen D. Frank

The trim is smooth

4. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Tough to be sure, but I might try hand rubbing it with some different polishes (test a spot to make sure it won't stain). Should be able to lighten it up and dressing should help too.

5. JOMAX

JOMAX Two Bucket System Washer

If he is particular and a good customer, I think he'll notice no matter what. Might be good to just tell him, then explain that you'll fix it and if needed give a discount. That's what I do if I mess something up in a clients home while working(construction/electrical). I found out its better to just tell them. There have been guys that break a wall and try to patch the drywall. When the owner comes and notices the patch(if he doesn't make it perfect), it makes the guy look very bad.

Now if you can make it look perfect, forget the above speech :)

Sent from my iPhone using
    TapTalk
    2000 Black DRW F-350
    Gauges, DP tuner, ported housing, T-500:evil:, JW VB, 5in turbo back, hutch/harpoon mod, 6.0 IC, tru cool tranny cooler, etc

6. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

try fine steel wools or a fine sand papers, i have utilized both as one of the guys did the came thing at a shop i was at. I then used some compound to bring the shine back.

7. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

You can try a heat gun (depending on how bad the scuff is). You need to be very very careful not to burn/melt the trim.

8. Stephen D. Frank

Here is the scuff. I tried the heat gun with no improvement. I've ended up sanding it with 1000 grit, then moving to 4000 grit. I'll post pics once I finish.

Attached Files:

9. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Heat gun won't fix that you will have to replace.

10. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Looks like some of the rubber melted