80/20 inferior to 70/30 microfiber towels ?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by xyz10, Apr 12, 2011.

1. xyz10

xyz10 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I currently have a few 80/20 towels...should I junk them and get the 70/30 towels ?

How many 16x16 towels are needed for buffing a spray wax (Optimum) off a mid-sized car ?

Used to use white terry towels (suggested by Zaino) when I used Zaino products.

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

70/30 is much softer. Usually 2 MF's will be good enough for buffing off a spray wax on a standard car.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Micro fibre came about by combining two DuPont inventions: a hydrophobic Polyester (a scrubbing fibre) and a hydrophilic Polyamide (an absorbing fibre) this nylon hybrid is created during weaving to create microscopic loops, which form a network of tiny hooks, scrubbing away dirt and grime. The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate liquids.

They actually lift the dirt or wax from the surface you are cleaning and then store the particle or liquid in the towel until it is washed. The polyester and nylon are alternatively forced through a nozzle that combines them through a heat weaving process. The fibre is then split a number of times to create the micro fibres that are then intertwined to create an ultra absorbent material. The polyester and polyimide are combined during weaving to create thousands of microscopic loops.

They are available in different ratios i.e. a 70% polyester/30% polyamide (or 80/20%) The polyamide is used as the core of the hybrid fibre and the polyester is the outer skin. Each micro fibre towel contains approx 50,000 for an average micro fibre towel and up to 200,000 fibres per square inch for a plush micro fibre towel that trap dirt and remove it from the surface.

Each fibre has specific qualities, that when properly blended, can be used to weave functionally specific fabrics by varying nap length and / or densities.