$500 to get started

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by AJS, May 16, 2016.

1. AJS

AJS New Member

Hey guys i'm a teenager close to graduating and would like to become a skilled detailer as its much more appealing than working a regular job. Say I have $500 to get started, to cover all supplies that are neccesary for a new guy. What would you reccomend? I know a decent bit about detailing since I bought my car, and will learn much more. I plan to start my own small business I guess you could call it.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

AJS,

Where are you located?

What I would suggest would be a bit different, I would see if you could get an internship with one of the better shops in your area, with a busy shop you will see if you like it at all, before you commit to $500 and leaving school completely after HS? graduation.

AJS likes this.
  3. AJS

AJS New Member

I'm in howard county Md, I only know of 2 detailers in the state. Ones in the city and the other are some guys my dad knows. Its not a bad idea, but I know i'd like it cause i'm pretty over the top with cleaning my own car, and would like to learn how to clean/detail my own car better.

4. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

I agree with Phil. Your learning curve will be enhanced at a faster pace versus learning by yourself through trial and error. A body shop is also an alternative.

5. AJS

AJS New Member

Either way, I still want to buy the neccesary equipment and products to use on my own car. I just figured that If I can work with my own car, that I can probably tackle other peoples. I already know I want to learn how to detail my own car, so either way I'm still looking for what To buy. Mainly in regards to a oribital buffer/pads.

6. briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Before you invest your 500.00, I'd make a smaller investment in Mike Phillips' book,

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

available at many different places. This might help you get started in the right direction. There are also several other forums out there that you can join to get some of the answers you're looking for